couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Futon dialog speed
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:12:30 GMT
On 29.03.2008, at 18:30, Matt Goodall wrote:
> On 28/03/2008, Matt Goodall <matt.goodall@gmail.com> wrote:
>> p.s. As pretty as the new JS dialogs are, definitely an improvement
>> over the standard browser dialogs, they really do slow things down a
>> lot :(.
>
> OK, so the fancy dialogs are nice and quick on my desktop computer
> (nvidia accelerated graphics) but slow on my laptop (non-accelerated).

What OS and browser/version are you running?

I do most of my development on a macbook which doesn't have much in
terms of graphics acceleration either (integrated intel thing), and
it's plenty fast here.

> Pretty too!
>
> It's really the fade in/out stuff that makes it slow. If I remove the
> overlay and switch off the dialog animation it's great on the laptop
> too :).

I guess it could be trimmed down in terms of animation, but I'd really
like to keep the "dimming out" of the stuff behind the dialog. That's
a pretty common theme these days too, with all the lightbox/thickbox
usage. Are those slow for you too?

For example: <http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/>

> I now realise it's not a general problem, but perhaps it would be nice
> to add an "animated windows" option, stored in a cookie?

That would be the absolute last resort :P

Cheers,
Chris
--
Christopher Lenz