couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "B W" <papersm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions regarding readiness for production environment
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:29:11 GMT
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Jan Lehnardt <janlehnardt@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> On Mar 10, 2008, at 14:51 , B W wrote:
> > I am currently working on a public-facing web app and I would love
> > to use
> > couchdb.  I apologize if these question have been asked before, but
> > seeing
> > couchdb is in active development, it'd be nice to have some updated
> > info.
>
> What's you web app about? (if you want to share :)

The general idea right now is a site for organizing events.  The idea is
still not polished, so I'll be adding more features as I go, that's why I
find couchdb's flexible schema attractive. :)

> > The web site says the interface is stable enough for application
> > development, but what about implementation-wise as of 0.7?  I don't
> > have an
> > urgent need for the features on the wiki road map right now since
> > it's a new
> > project, but I was wondering if there are any performance caveats or
> > major
> > bugs I need to be aware of?
>
> The API, particularly dealing with attachments is still in flux now. I
> don't
> know of any show-stopping bugs, though. CouchDB is not yet optimised for
> speed. While fast enough for tests, it could be a lot faster. One
> thing you will
> encounter pretty quickly is that database size grows fast at the
> moment when
> you add or delete documents. The process to deal with that
> (compaction) is
> just being implemented. If you don't want to wait for that, you can
> still manually
> compact your databases by bulk copying their contents to new temporary
> dbs and then switch over regularly. Sounds like a bit of a chore and
> it is,
> but it works.
>
> With us, "alpha" means that we do not have all the features in we want
> for
> a first major release, but the things that are in are pretty stable.
> We still
> don't recommend using  CouchDB for anything mission-critical, as we
> can't
> vouch for the safety of your data. That said, the current code-base
> didn't
> show any critical bugs as of yet. But don't quote me on that if you lose
> your data :-)
>

> > I'm also wondering what kind of time frame should I expect for the
> > next
> > major releases?
>
> I can't make any commitments here, but we try to get the compaction out
> to you as quickly as possible.

That would be great! :D  One question though, once compaction is added, will
it have compatibility problem with my existing un-compacted data?

Thanks!

Bob