couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alan Bell <a...@theopenlearningcentre.com>
Subject Re: IMAP IDLE and realtime views
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 23:15:39 GMT
I think the COMET call is the way forward, I just never heard of COMET
before today, but it is exactly the same concept as the IDLE command in
IMAP. The problem with a callback via XMPP or otherwise is that the
server has to be able to address and call the client, who may be behind
a NAT firewall or a proxy, may disconnect altogether and may move about.
I like XMPP, but it is a whole other protocol to handle and runs on
another port so is another potential firewall issue.

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7736 778908
Tel: +44 (0)8444 849388

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55