couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <janlehna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Questions regarding readiness for production environment
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:56:24 GMT
Hi,
On Mar 10, 2008, at 14:51 , B W wrote:
> I am currently working on a public-facing web app and I would love
> to use
> couchdb.  I apologize if these question have been asked before, but
> seeing
> couchdb is in active development, it'd be nice to have some updated
> info.

What's you web app about? (if you want to share :)

> The web site says the interface is stable enough for application
> development, but what about implementation-wise as of 0.7?  I don't
> have an
> urgent need for the features on the wiki road map right now since
> it's a new
> project, but I was wondering if there are any performance caveats or
> major
> bugs I need to be aware of?

The API, particularly dealing with attachments is still in flux now. I
don't
know of any show-stopping bugs, though. CouchDB is not yet optimised for
speed. While fast enough for tests, it could be a lot faster. One
thing you will
encounter pretty quickly is that database size grows fast at the
moment when
you add or delete documents. The process to deal with that
(compaction) is
just being implemented. If you don't want to wait for that, you can
still manually
compact your databases by bulk copying their contents to new temporary
dbs and then switch over regularly. Sounds like a bit of a chore and
it is,
but it works.

With us, "alpha" means that we do not have all the features in we want
for
a first major release, but the things that are in are pretty stable.
We still
don't recommend using  CouchDB for anything mission-critical, as we
can't
vouch for the safety of your data. That said, the current code-base
didn't
show any critical bugs as of yet. But don't quote me on that if you lose
your data :-)

> I'm also wondering what kind of time frame should I expect for the
> next
> major releases?

I can't make any commitments here, but we try to get the compaction out
to you as quickly as possible.

Cheers,
Jan