couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Matt Goodall" <matt.good...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Futon dialog speed
Date Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:24:43 GMT
On 29/03/2008, Christopher Lenz <cmlenz@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 29.03.2008, at 18:30, Matt Goodall wrote:
>  > On 28/03/2008, Matt Goodall <matt.goodall@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> p.s. As pretty as the new JS dialogs are, definitely an improvement
>  >> over the standard browser dialogs, they really do slow things down a
>  >> lot :(.
>  >
>  > OK, so the fancy dialogs are nice and quick on my desktop computer
>  > (nvidia accelerated graphics) but slow on my laptop (non-accelerated).
>

> What OS and browser/version are you running?

Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) and Firefox 2.0.0.13, Firefox 3.0b3pre. Opera is slow too.

The laptop has actually got an ATI graphics card of some sort but the
accelerated driver breaks suspend and hibernate :-/. With the
accelerated driver installed performance is good.

>  > Pretty too!
>  >
>  > It's really the fade in/out stuff that makes it slow. If I remove the
>  > overlay and switch off the dialog animation it's great on the laptop
>  > too :).
>

> I guess it could be trimmed down in terms of animation, but I'd really
>  like to keep the "dimming out" of the stuff behind the dialog. That's
>  a pretty common theme these days too, with all the lightbox/thickbox
>  usage. Are those slow for you too?
>
>  For example: <http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/>

Yes, those things are terrible too.

Playing around with Futon a bit more  ... with the standard driver and
all animations disabled it takes 2.5 - 3 secs to display a dialog.
(With animation it's just about unusable, in the region of 10 secs!)

If I also remove the opacity from the overlay it's fairly quick again.

Anyway, no problem & thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll hack
the JS for now.  Perhaps I'll get a better laptop sometime although
this probably is quite enough cause ;-).

- Matt