From Paul Harter <p...@glowinthedark.co.uk>
Subject What can last_seq from _changes be?
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2015 19:57:57 GMT
I'm using CouchDB and Couchbase Sync Gateway together on a project and have
run into an incompatibility in how they replicate.

In the CouchDB docs it states that last_seq in the the return value of
_changes should be a number.

Sync Gateway sometimes returns strings like "82::100", two or more ints
separated by pairs of colons. When CouchDB gets a values like this during
replication from SG it returns it in its next _changes GET as a JSON
encoded string with quotes:

?since=%2282%3A%3A100%22

but this causes Sync Gateway to fail with a 500 as it's expecting.

?since=82%3A%3A100

Without the quotes: a string rather than a json encoded string.

So the question is: can last_seq be any json value and if so should it
always be json encoded in the _changes get query string as CouchDB
currently does, or is CouchDB misbehaving in adding the quotes to the
string? Or should it just always be a number as the docs state?

Any insight into how this ought to work would be a great help. I guess
maybe it's a moving target and there is no right answer.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Harter
Glowinthedark Ltd, Studio 20, Containerville, Corbridge Crescent, London E2
9DS

paul@glowinthedark.co.uk
+44 (0)7957 540940
www.glowinthedark.co.uk