From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: rev hash stability
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 19:41:54 GMT

> On Oct 17, 2014, at 12:15 PM, Brian Mitchell <brian@standardanalytics.io> wrote:
>
> Simply put: if and only if the revs match we should assume some optimism just like we
> do with things like atts_since. There’s already a lot of trust between two nodes for
replication
> and we should assume that matching revs were either unique (or random) or based on some
> deterministic property that isn’t likely to collide unless it was an equivalent operation.

I'm sorry, I've read this a few times and I can't figure out exactly what your meaning is.
Could you elaborate? Particularly, what does "if the revs match" mean, exactly?

Also, I don't think your statement "there’s already a lot of trust between two nodes for
replication" is accurate in all cases. You seem to be thinking of a server cluster (a la BigCouch)
but CouchDB-style replication is often used in a more distributed way. Both PouchDB and Couchbase
Lite use replication between servers and clients. A client can be trusted to be acting on
behalf of a user, but not beyond that.

—Jens