From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB / 200 sites global replication *without* full mesh
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 22:02:44 GMT

On May 27, 2014, at 12:20 PM, Matthieu Rakotojaona <matthieu.rakotojaona@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The issue you have here is that CouchDB is really "low-level" in that it
> only manages 1-1 replication. A global mesh of CouchDB nodes will need a
> third-party tool.

Not necessarily. If this is a fixed set of servers with static IP addresses, you just need
to configure each CouchDB instance with a couple of persistent replications to its ‘neighbors’.
This configuration might have to be updated periodically if servers are added or moved, but
that shouldn’t be a big job.

What you’re saying is more applicable to a dynamic environment like a set of home computers
or mobile devices. “Mesh networking” does usually refer to such situations, but I think
the OP is using “mesh" in a more general sense.

—Jens