From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is _missing_revs and how is it different from _revs_diff?
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:54:34 GMT
I have no idea why Damien decided to add the _revs_diff endpoint instead of extending _missing_revs,
but that's how it happened.  The _missing_revs endpoint lacks the ancestry details that allow
the replicator to eliminate some classes of redundant attachment transfers.  There's absolutely
no advantage to using it; it exists to maintain replication interop with older CouchDB installs.

Adam

On Mar 31, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not new, but iirc during my replication protocol investigations,
> it doesn't uses since 1.2.x release when replication was rewritten at
> the first time.
> Did your client provided CouchDB version?
> --
>

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
>> {Accidentally sent this to the ‘user’ list first, when it should have gone here.
Apologies for people who get it twice}

>> I just discovered a “/db/_missing_revs” endpoint in the API spec[1]. It looks
as though it’s mostly identical to _revs_diff. Is this new? And what’s the advantage over
_revs_diff? The response contains less information.

>> (Actually, I discovered _missing_revs via a bug report from a user who found CouchDB’s
replicator sending it to the Couchbase Sync Gateway, which doesn’t have any handler for
it. Oops.)