From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Server feature detection
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 15:00:34 GMT

On Feb 5, 2014, at 10:34 PM, Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Honestly this sounds like a good job for OPTIONS but Mark Nottingham would disagree -
see http://www.mnot.net/blog/2012/10/29/NO_OPTIONS.

Isn't OPTIONS more about HTTP-level features? Like, what methods or Content-Types or Content-Encodings
are accepted? I don't see it having a way to tell you what URLs are available, much less what
options like query parameters or JSON content properties are allowed.

> Personally I think a Couch DB specific solution (e.g. returning server data as JSON on
a GET request on the root of the server) is just fine. Good general purpose solutions are
hard. Good specific solutions tend to be easier.

Agreed :) Where I think you mean CouchDB-the-API, not specifically CouchDB-the-Erlang-implementation.

Anyway — I've filed a ticket in Jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2052

—Jens