From Yaron Goland <yar...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Server feature detection
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:41:28 GMT
Going back to RFC 2616 section 9.2 it says "The OPTIONS method represents a request for information
about the communication options available on the request/response chain identified by the
Request-URI. This method allows the client to determine the options and/or requirements associated
with a resource, or the capabilities of a server, without implying a resource action or initiating
a resource retrieval."

So, no, OPTIONS was not just about discovering HTTP level features. It was explicitly about
discovering what the resource could do, at any and all levels. In fact that is why we used
OPTIONS to discover if the server supported WebDAV. WebDAV is most certainly not a HTTP level
feature. It's just an application that runs on top of HTTP, just like the CouchDB API.

In practice however there are issues with using OPTIONS, see Mark's article for a discussion
of what they are.

And yes, I do mean CouchDB the API. Oddly enough I spend all day long working with CouchDB
the API and I've never run CouchDB the Erlang server. There is this company, what was their
name again? Something with a Base in it. I seem to use their code almost exclusively. :)

I looked at the issue and it seems like a fine idea to me. I didn't vote for it because I
don't have an account on Apache's JIRA.

    Thanks,

           Yaron