couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: Marketing strategy for 3.0
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2016 08:16:19 GMT
Hi Jan,
thanks for this, sorry for the late respons

> On 28. sep. 2016, at 21.12, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Now, to help us decide *what* to do *when* we definitely need to do some marketing ground
work: like defining key personas that we want to reach (the dev, the CTO, etc.) and nail down
their needs and fears and then we can figure out how to address them with our marketing efforts.
Personas is a great way to capture almost all the essentials of marketing. "Personas" and
"Touch points" from the UX vocalbulary will take us a long way in introducing "market pull"
to meet the "tech push" from the developers

> And do this one by one, iteratively.
Yess, Ideally the marketing list would iterated in sync with development

> As for competition, I couldn’t give a rat’s ass. I think we have a good handle on
who the competition is and what makes sense for the project to do on a technical level to
get to where we feel we have a good competition story (cluster rebalance, improved query lang,
perf e.g.), but aside from that, I don’t think there is a need to go beyond any of that.
I agree very much on focusing on the "story" level. The main thing here is to not to get caugth
up in a feature race. Simplicity wins, but adding features to match competition can be tempting.

> I’d rather spent time on working out the kinks on the story and tech of the use-cases
that replication enables, which is as wide as “from BigData to Mobile”, and I still think,
after nearly 10 years, that this is a really strong and compelling value proposition, we just
need to deliver on it.

> Best
> Jan

I am a fan of 3x3 breakdown of things to keep it simple and maintain a limitid number of slots
to comptet for.
This is my suggestion for a CouchDB marketing 3x3

Story (the brand, the positioning, "who we are")
Value (the core capability, strength, "what we have to offer")
Personas (decision makers and their needs and preferences, the "who we reach out to" dimension)

The threesome makes it easy to look at this from any angle, any item relates to both the other

Story: Relax!
-- Seamless multi-master sync
-- Big Data to Mobile (with an Intuitive HTTP/JSON API)
-- Opensource project embraced by the brand "No one ever got fired for buying"

Personas: The entire stack of decition makers
-- SW developer
-- CTO
-- Business platform developer

Value: Incredible cost-growth-risk performance
-- Easy onboarding, scales with your needs
-- Data where you need it (on/offline, public/secure, cloud/your own device etc)
-- Designed for Reliability

johs