couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.0 Website Update
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2016 17:32:08 GMT

> On 03 Sep 2016, at 15:03, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hey everybody,
>
> I’ve started a modest website update for the upcoming 2.0 release:
>
> - new logo
> - removed textured linen background, moved to flat grey
> - new top-level marketing slogans (wip)
> - new intro texts (wip)
> - new 2.0 download section (final links TBD)
>  - I kept the 1.6.1/1.7.0 section, because people will want to be
>    able to keep downloading that
> - improved load time by serving JIRA “Submit a Bug” JavaScript include
>  from the same host as opposed to live from JIRA which tends to take
>  a few seconds. This might need updating on JIRA updates, but these
>  are rare.
> - improved “small screen” menu drop-down
>

>    Preview here: http://jan.prima.de/couchdb-2.0/
>
>    Branch here: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-www/tree/2.0
>

> TODO (needs your help):
>
> - I don’t know my way around @2x images in web design and I think the new logo needs
some treatment, would appreciate any designer here taking a lead on this. Feel free to just
commit on that branch.

> - finalise marketing slogans and description updates. Bikeshed away (within reason, the
main direction has been decided upon a while ago).

> - I’d like to add a few pointers to different CouchDB use-case scenarios that highlight
the awesomeness of our replication. I think the easiest of these is a short blog post series
that then can be linked to from the main website (as opposed to introduce more sections into
the single-page, or changing from single- to multi-page). My thinking here is that we want
to cover the following scenarios at least:

>  1. 3+ node CouchDB cluster, replication for inter-node updates
>
>  2. 3+ cloud locations, a cluster in each, for geo-distribution (closer to users, and
fault tolerance)

>  3. cloud location + 1000s+ of mobile / web clients  (w/ PouchDB and Couchbase Lite),
highlight Offline First (offlinefirst.org) strength

>  4. distributed office locations (think London, New York, Tokio), all end-users with
low-latency connections to CouchDB, all data syncing in the background, easy to open new offices,
etc.

>  5. eHealth Africa Ebola Response. Essentially 3. but more concrete, with focus on regions
with challenging network infrastructure c.f. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sLjWlWvCsc&spfreload=10

I’ve started to write outlines for all of these to make it easier to pick them up.

I’m volunteering for 5. and I think 1. is best taken by someone from Cloudant *hint hint*
;)

Also, don’t forget, sweet, exclusive mugs for you: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp_Vs9LVYAESJMc.jpg

1. 3+ node CouchDB cluster, replication for inter-node updates

- How CouchDB 2.0 uses replication to keep all nodes in a cluster up to date.

 2. 3+ cloud locations, a cluster in each, for geo-distribution (closer to users, and fault
tolerance)
 - low-latency / close-to-the-user global geo location
 - high-availability failover for potential disasters in one or more availability zones, or
across different hosting- or cloud-providers.

 3. cloud location + 1000s+ of mobile / web clients  (w/ PouchDB and Couchbase Lite), highlight
Offline First (offlinefirst.org) strength
 - offline first web- or native app with PouchDB or Couchbase Lite
 - database per user, replication for low-latency on-device data access
 - fast user-experience (c.f. Google/Amazon studies about latency killing user-engagement
and sales)

 4. distributed office locations (think London, New York, Tokyo), all end-users with low-latency
connections to CouchDB, all data syncing in the background, easy to open new offices, etc.

 - company with three offices in London, New York, Tokyo
 - e.g. a CRM software that runs locally in every office, so employees have low-latency, high-bandwidth
access, and only have to rely on the office LAN, but not the WAN.
 - eventually, all data will be in all locations, but any WAN slowness or interruption don’t
stop any one employee from doing their job.
	 - Could also be a code hosting platform, e.g. poking fun at GitHub outages in the face of
using a DVCS as the core.

 5. eHealth Africa Ebola Response. Essentially 3. but more concrete, with focus on regions
with challenging network infrastructure c.f. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sLjWlWvCsc&spfreload=10

 - Ebola response:
	 - next to no infrastructure (power and network, no 3G, barely EDGE etc.)
	 - daily changing requirements from different countries, sometimes contradicting
	 - real human impact
	 - could only be made to work with CouchDB sync and a PouchDB-based mobile web app.

>  6+. <your ideas here>
>
>  Optional / later:
>    - npmjs.com case study (they heavily rely on CouchDB and replication)
>    - some big data client of Cloudant’s would be nice ;)
>
> All of these would just be a couple of paragraphs long, nothing too in-depth, but with
nice diagrams showing all the components and data flow.

> Who’d be up for helping with these? I’ll send you one of the sweet, exclusive CouchDB
2.0 coffee mugs :)

> // CC Jenn, would you able to coordinate this again?
>
> These shouldn’t take long to write, and I’m sure we can get 3 or 4 together until
next Thursday, so they can go out with the 2.0 release.