couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparing ASF press release to announce Apache CouchDB 2.0
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2016 18:49:54 GMT
Heya Sally, I’ll be working on this tomorrow and Wednesday, and I’ll be heavily recruiting
help ;)

One flaw with our Sept 1. release plan was conveniently forgetting the 72 hour release vote.
We are not in a position to vote today and I think the plan should be to do the vote on Sept
1. and release on Tuesday 6th, so we have a bit of a buffer with show-stoppers.

Do you think this can work?

Best
Jan
--

> On 29 Aug 2016, at 20:40, Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Friendly ping. NAK thus far from anyone ...
>
> In the event that you'd prefer not to issue a press release, that's perfectly fine.
>
> Just be sure to include announce@apache.org when you go live and I'll be happy to add
it to the Apache Weekly News Round-up :-)

Publicity <press@apache.org>; Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>
> Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:24 PM
> Subject: Preparing ASF press release to announce Apache CouchDB 2.0
>
> Hello Apache CouchDB marketing team and PMC --I hope you are well.
>
> I was in touch with Jan Lehnardt about the upcoming v2.0 release and he asked that I
connect with you regarding getting the ball rolling on this.

> To that end, our next steps are for you to:
>
> 0) identify a primary point-of-contact;
>
> 1) help me draft the announcement (mostly filling in the "what is CouchDB"/features+functionality
bits --I'll do the headline/subhead/opening paragraph) --I've started a draft at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-bjRGoRC4i5PFIemJfsueXIuBTAEr5D_UH2DhhgajEM/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-bjRGoRC4i5PFIemJfsueXIuBTAEr5D_UH2DhhgajEM/edit?usp=sharing>
: feel free to drop in content in the placeholders;

> 2) decide whether you'd like to include supporting testimonials from the community* (and
solicit them); and

> 3) work together that our formal press/public and internal/developer/list timing is in
synch (it's best to have everything roll out within a 24-48 hour timeframe, rather than announce
the project's news on your dev list or announce@apache.org, followed by a press release several
weeks later)

> We also need to lock in the announcement date --Jan said that the drop date is likely
to be Thursday 1 September. We usually issue press releases on Tuesdays, as that garners the
best global media exposure/coverage, followed by Mondays, then Wednesdays. Seeing that Monday
5 September is Labor Day holiday in the US, I suggest that we consider announcing on Tuesday
6 September. Should this be the plan, I'll need the final content locked in by 6PM ET the
night before.

> Thanks for your help. Feel fee to ping me if you need anything. I look forward to working
with you!

> Warmly,
> Sally
>
> * Organizations supporting/using CouchDB are welcome to issue their own, standalone "hurrah,
Apache CouchEB!" blog posts/tweets/press release at that time as well (we love it when multiple
announcements come out to support a project's activity!). We just need to make sure that we
coordinate messaging/timing/etc.