couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Fwd: NoSQL Weekly - Issue 288
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2016 19:30:04 GMT
Hi friends,

not sure if you have seen that already. An article about CouchDB was mentioned in NoSQL Weekly.

> How I setup OpenWhisk to use a local CouchDB <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=5cd9da6a5f&e=7965148edf>
Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk
RockIt!

Hamburg / Germany

GPG public key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x4F1D0C59BC90917D <https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x4F1D0C59BC90917D>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: NoSQL Weekly <rahul@nosqlweekly.com>
> Subject: NoSQL Weekly - Issue 288
> Date: 2 June 2016 at 17:32:06 GMT+2
> To: <andy@nms.de>
>
> Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser. <http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=0f7b260b57&e=7965148edf>
>
> Welcome to issue 288 of NoSQL Weekly. Let's get straight to the links this week.
>
> From Our Sponsor
>
>  <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=7b18990dd7&e=7965148edf>
Developers are in demand, so shouldn't companies apply to you? On Hired, that's exactly how
it works. Get 5+ job offers from companies like Uber, Square, and Facebook with 1 application.
Join Hired today <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=c049f2d66d&e=7965148edf>
and get a $1,000 bonus when you get a job!
> Articles, Tutorials and Talks
>
> Apache Spark as a Compiler: Joining a Billion Rows per Second on a Laptop <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=9c944ac494&e=7965148edf>
> Deep dive into the new Tungsten execution engine.
>
> Apache Cassandra on AWS <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=c28716fc80&e=7965148edf>
> This whitepaper provides an overview of Cassandra and its implementation on the AWS cloud
platform. It also talks about best practices and implementation characteristics such as performance,
durability, and security, and focuses on AWS features relevant to Cassandra that help ensure
scalability, high availability, and disaster recovery in a cost-effective manner.

> Docker: Rails Worker Process and Redis Service <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=864191d558&e=7965148edf>
> In this episode we show you how to run a worker service using docker. We will be specifically
focussing on sidekiq, and getting all that hooked up to the redis service also running with
docker.

> Optimize Hadoop Cluster Performance with Various Storage Media <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=efee6c39a5&e=7965148edf>
> This study covers HBase write performance on different storage media, leveraging the
hierarchy storage management support in HDFS to store different categories of HBase data using
the Yahoo! Cloud Serving Benchmark (YCSB) as the test workload

> Postgres & Redis Sitting In a Tree <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=d4ee619277&e=7965148edf>
> In today's world of polyglot persistence, it's likely that companies will be using multiple
data stores for storing and working with data based on the use case. Typically a company will
start with a relational database like Postgres and then add Redis for more high velocity use-cases.
What if you could tie the two systems together to enable so much more?

> How I setup OpenWhisk to use a local CouchDB <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=5cd9da6a5f&e=7965148edf>
> OpenWhisk is a cloud-first distributed event-based programming service that lets you
to execute code in response to events. When I went to set up OpenWhisk and run it locally,
I was presented with several choices for a backend data store. Couch DB sounded like a good
choice locally because I could use it using both HTTP and HTTPS protocols. Follow along for
step-by-step instructions on how to install and configure a self-managed CouchDB instance
on your local machines.

> 5 Useful Tips to Make Your Hadoop Deployment Robust <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=815fd875ae&e=7965148edf>
> When working with Hadoop for BI or other production purposes, the most important component
is obviously the data layer. Here are some simple tips that you can implement to better manage
and protect your data.

> Introducing Pegasus: One Does Not Simply pip install hadoop <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=077e5445d1&e=7965148edf>
> This tutorial is a part of the DevOps series covering how to get started with the leading
open source distributed technologies. We will be stepping through how to quickly provision
EC2 instances on AWS and deploy Big Data technologies with just a few lines of code.

> Securing Couchbase Server using Let’s Encrypt x.509 Certificates <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=943d4bbaad&e=7965148edf>
> Securing data and access to data for application data is an important step in securing
your environment for client applications and database protection in any sized environment.
One of the simplest methods to secure data is the access path from application to database
server. Some databases employ closed schemes for securing client communications for session
connections to the database but Couchbase server employs TLS certificates for securing communications.
This process can be complex to the uninitiated but Let’s Encrypt, a new, free, certificate
authority is aiming to change that and bring security technology to everyone.

> Monitoring Cassandra at Scale <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=e55a10bfc5&e=7965148edf>
>
> Testing clustered applications – like CouchDB <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=580b9f7689&e=7965148edf>
>
> Vacuum - REST API backed with Neo4j <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=aed2887159&e=7965148edf>
>
> This Week in Cassandra: Data Modeling in the Real World 5/27/2016 <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=45310aea22&e=7965148edf>
>
> Semantic PDM: Using a Graph Data Model at Schleich <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=4976d5160d&e=7965148edf>
>

> Interesting Projects, Tools and Libraries
>
> vacuum <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=7ac11ea537&e=7965148edf>
> REST API which allows you to understand the dependency graph of your microservices architecture.
>
> ArangoDB-view <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2c56727531&e=7965148edf>
> ArangoDB-view is a poc webinterface for ArangoDB. Its based on a flex design.
>
> scanamo <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=eced2e03af&e=7965148edf>
> Scanamo is a library to make using DynamoDB with Scala simpler and less error-prone.
The main focus is on making it easier to avoid mistakes and typos by leveraging Scala's type
system and some higher level abstractions.

> Captain <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=66dfe9cd24&e=7965148edf>
> Captain is yet another service discovery implementation based on redis. Captain sacrifices
a little high availability for simplicity and performance.

> object-cache <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=37db4c3b20&e=7965148edf>
> Simple Ruby object caching solution using Redis as a backend.
>

> Upcoming Events and Webinars
>
> Webinar: Gaining Insights into MongoDB with MongoDB Cloud Manager and New Relic <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=e142cdff4c&e=7965148edf>
> In this session, we’ll show how to use MongoDB Cloud Manager to monitor the performance
of your cluster. Next, we’ll dive into New Relic and demonstrate how you can view the same
database specific metrics from within the APM tool.

York, NY <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=d32d3c784f&e=7965148edf>
> What You'll Learn At This Meetup: Why bots? Bots can be used in many scenarios - auto
replies on IRC, Slack, Github and so on. But bots can also be used to help you on daily tasks!
Depending on your routine, smart bots may be able to reply emails, answer questions on chat,
remind you to do some activities and so on. Bots can be much more than a Devops Friend tool!
 This talk is going to talk a little bit about how to identify situations that a bot could
help you, possible ways to build them, the challenges and the some things that may go wrong.

> Intro to Geospatial and other Redis 3.2 features - New York, NY <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=9aed96adb1&e=7965148edf>
> Join Dave Nielsen in this talk where he demonstrates how to speed up mobile apps and
web scale systems with Redis geospatial data structures and functions  Dave will demo an open
source Geospatial app that depends solely on Redis Geospatial Indexes. Functions demoed are
GEOADD, ZREM, GEOHASH, GEOPOS, GEODIST, GEORADIUS, GEORADIUSBYMEMBER.

NY <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=4107d11b0f&e=7965148edf>
> In this session, you will learn how to use Scylla, the new open-source NoSQL database
that succeeds Cassandra. Scylla applies new systems programming techniques to a horizontally
scalable NoSQL column-store design that results in extreme performance improvements; capable
of 1 million requests per second per node, with < 1msec P99 latency. Scylla also provides
drop-in replacement compatibility with Apache Cassandra, as well as inheriting its scaling
properties.

> Presto Workshop - Cambridge, MA <http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=137393c553&e=7965148edf>
> This meetup will be a hands on workshop for Presto. Using an real world large data set,
the workshop will cover: Brief overview of Presto and architecture Running SQL Queries from
Hadoop using Presto How to do some basic configuration and adding data sources to Presto Federated
queries from Kafka, MySQL, and Hadoop using Presto.

 <http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20288%20-%20http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2Fb31P-1>
 <http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D0f7b260b57&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20%20-%20Issue%20288>
 <http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D0f7b260b57&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20288>
 <http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D0f7b260b57&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20288>