couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: User Questionnaire
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 14:13:08 GMT
Here’s the final survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1V89tbzfoXruRkDtIPPrrERgpzWzAR-bYcaiThmHFF_g/viewform

I’d like to post this later today, so holler, if you have any additions ;)

Best
Jan
--

> On 21 Jan 2016, at 11:48, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Oh, and in reply to the typeform suggestion. I agree it’s a really slick interface,
but it’s a for-pay service, so we’d have to find a sponsor. In addition, I’ve used it
in the past and didn’t have the best experience, so I wouldn’t recommend it, despite it
being really slick for users.

the interface was interesting/different <https://workshape.typeform.com/to/PrMLrh>.

>> And if you like it, if you want, we can make our own CouchDB 2.0 one here. <http://www.typeform.com/>
>>
>> One question I would ask is:
>> 	Do you know where to go for help/ learning/ on-boarding for CouchDB?
>> AND
>> 	Is there anything you’d like to see?
>> AND
>> 	What do you find difficult to understand or code? (an open ended question for a
short-could-turn-into-a-long answer)

>> (Sometime I meet people who don’t know what IRC is  :X :O omgomgomgwtfwtfomgHOW!!!
:O)

>> As much as I hated it when i was younger (mostly because I didn’t use it) I am
starting to see the value in documentation. I realize that our documentation….is maybe a
bit lacking. And I am realizing that maybe it’s because our documentation seems, overally….**official***….
and… maybe sometimes
>> _-cryptic_%^//_. **NOT A BAD THING1** !! it’s just…(cringing here)
>>
>> A lot of what i read for tutorials/introductions into a new library/ new method/
new database is a real voice, because it actually helps me without being ostentatious/way
too technical/over assuming, y’know?

>> [Props to all those people writing blog posts and documentation !! :]
>>
>> I realize that that technicality and learning are the caveats and part of the job,
but the experienced people already know how to learn, and and and but but but the newbies
wouldn’t mind some more docs (even if they don’t read/admit to reading the entire thing).
:) :D :D Can we ask how many people read the official documentations vs StackOverflow vs.
v/blogs/tutorials? Maybe if we publish the results, some volunteers will take action in the
response to the responses? I realize how optimistic I’m here but,

>> Someone once said we are all: "Standing on shoulders of giants"
>>
>> - Michelle
>>
>> :)
>> :D !!
>> hi !
>> ;D
>> o//////
>>

>> PS. I really really like the idea of a link inside Fauxton leading to another page
that is of the Fauxton + CouchDB updates. This is an excellent idea, absolutely. +10000
>> I am going to try and add a link to Fauxton. Not sure about Futon; I’ll ask around
for Futon. :)

>> ~~~~~ ————— ####################################### ————— ~~~~~

>> Ground Control to Major Tom.. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o>
>>

>> Ground Control to Major Tom….
>> Ground Control to Major Tom….
>>

>> Take your protein pills AND!!!!! put your helmet on.
>>
>> [small and very much quieter] Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six,
>>

>> Commencing countdown, engines onnnnn………...
>> [Five, Four, Three]
>>

>> Check ignition
>> [Two, One]
>>

>> and may God’s love <3 be with you,
>>
>> [Blast-off]

>>                                                  ,:
>>                                                ,' |
>>                                               /   :
>>                                            --'   /
>>                                            \/ />/
>>                                            / <//_\
>>                                         __/   /
>>                                         )'-. /
>>                                         ./  :\
>>                                          /.' '
>>                                        '/'
>>                                        +
>>                                       '
>>                                     `.
>>                                 .-"-
>>                                (    |
>>                             . .-'  '.
>>                            ( (.   )8:
>>                        .'    / (_  )
>>                         _. :(.   )8P  `
>>                     .  (  `-' (  `.   .
>>                      .  :  (   .a8a)
>>                     /_`( "a `a. )"'
>>                 (  (/  .  ' )=='
>>                (   (    )  .8"   +
>>                  (`'8a.( _(   (
>>               ..-. `8P    ) `  )  +
>>             -'   (      -ab:  )
>>           '    _  `    (8P"Ya
>>         _(    (    )b  -`.  ) +
>>        ( 8)  ( _.aP" _a   \( \   *
>>      +  )/    (8P   (88    )  )
>>         (a:f   "     `"       `

>> This is Ground Control to Major Tom   !!!!!!!! !!! !
>>
>> You’ve really made the grade :) :D :D !!!
>> And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear! [omg omg! camera flashes =]
>> Now it’s time to leave the capsule if you dare..
>>
>> "This is Major Tom to Ground Control."
>> "I’m stepping through the door………."
>> "And I’m floating in a most peculiar way…"
>> "And the stars look very different today………….." —.—.—.--
>>
>> :/
>> :/
>> :/
>>
>> :\
>>
>> :/
>>

>> For here
>> am I floating round my tin can..:(
>> Far above the world…………….
>>

>> Planet Earth is blue…………………………………………………………………..
:( :( :(
>> And there’s nothing I can do………… :{
>>

>> :(
>>

>> :(

>> :((
>>

>> :/

>> : )
>>

>> :D
>>

>> !!!!
>>

>> Though I’m past one hundred thousand miles…

>> And I think my spaceship knows which way to go……../ [up!]
>> Tell my wife I love her very much (she knows!) :D :D :D :D :)
>>
>> Ground Control to Major Tomm,,,,
>> Your circuit’s dead, there’s something wrong!!!
>>
>> Can you hear me, Major Tom? :?
>> Can you hear me, Major Tom? :!
>> Can you hear me, Major Tom? :!!!!!!!
>> Can you hear……….
>>
>> am I sitting in a tin can ????
>> Far-rrrrrrrr above the Mooooooon…
>>

>> Planet Earth is blue …….. :( :( :(
>>

>> And there’s nothing I can do …………………………… :(
>>
>> :(((((
>>

>> :(
>>

>> : /
>>

>> : |
>>

>> ..

>> .
>>

>> .

>>> On Jan 16, 2016, at 7:46 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Heyall,
>>>
>>> in preparation for the 2.0 launch, it be great to know more about who our end
users are. And to find out, I’m proposing we develop a questionnaire. We’ve done this
once before, about six years ago, and *a lot* has changed since, so it’s a good time to
do an update (and then maybe do this once a year or so :)

>>> A questionnaire can give us insight into what people think about and want from
CouchDB outside of the daily support requests and reported issues. In addition, people can
tell us how they use CouchDB and that can help the project make decisions on how to prioritise
e.g. new features.

>>> I think using Google Forms/Docs for this is the easiest and I’d be happy to
set this up, once we have a consensus on the content.

>>> The two things I think are important to prepare are:
>>>
>>> 1. What do we want to know?
>>> 2. How do we reach our users?
>>>
>>> ## What do we want to know
>>>
>>> This is mostly up to you, here are a few questions that I think might be useful
to have answers to, I’m sure you can think of many more:

>>> - How have you heard of CouchDB?
>>> - How long have you used CouchDB? < 1 year, 1 y, 2y, 3y, 5y, >5y
>>> - Which version(s) of CouchDB do you use? 2.0 alpha, 1.x.x,.1.6.1, 1.5.x…1.0.1?
>>> - Are you using any other software that replicates? If yes, which one(s)? PouchDB,
Couchbase, Couchbase Mobile [iOS, Android], BigCouch, PHP Replicator, Cloudant etc.?

>>> - Are you using CouchDB for professional or private projects?
>>> - If you can share, what are some of the more impressive metrics of your projects,
in terms of:
>>> - amount of data stored
>>> - number of documents
>>> - number of databases
>>> - requests / s
>>> - number of CouchDB servers
>>> - growth
>>> - stability
>>> - developer happiness
>>> - ops happiness
>>> - impact
>>> - …
>>> - If you are using CouchDB professionally, are you interested in being contacted
about professional services? [email]

>>> - What do you like most about CouchDB?
>>> - What do you like least about CouchDB?
>>> - What feature would you like to see added to CouchDB?
>>> - What feature could you live without?
>>> - What could be improved about the CouchDB documentation?
>>>
>>> - If you are on 1.x, are you:
>>> - interested in the cluster-feature of 2.0?
>>> - interested in the Mango Query Language of 2.0?
>>> - not at all interested in 2.0?
>>> - …
>>>
>>> - … and many many more (but not too many ;)
>>>

>>> ## How do we reach our users
>>>
>>> This is just a list that came to mind, I’m sure there is more we can do.
>>>
>>> - Weekly News / blog
>>> - Apache mailing lists
>>> - Social Media
>>> - IRC
>>> - Press? (maybe database weekly?)
>>> - Cross-Promotion with family-projects like PouchDB
>>> - Can IBM help?
>>> - Futon/Fauxton
>>> - This is something I’d like to have seen for the longest time: a page in Futon/Fauxton
that connects back to the project (that people can opt out of, if they want), but that allows
us to post rare project news like new versions available, this questionnaire ^^, security
advisories, etc. Since we are planning a 1.7 release, maybe we can add something to Futon
there and into Fauxton for the 2.x builds (which would also help with getting feedback from
the alpha/beta testers there). This should be too hard, we just need to agree on how we do
it :)