couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Clemens Stolle <clemens.sto...@fastmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting people to test CouchDB 2.0 alpha releases
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:41:58 GMT
Thanks for your work on this Jan. :)

Just a few ideas:

Maybe we can turn the Google Doc into a simple friendly webpage? Might be more appealing and
professional™ for people.
Also, you’re right, alpha versions are always kind of scary for most in my experience.

I’ve gotten some reports about issues with the 2.0-dev docker image, some are clearly problems
with effing docker others are more on the side of CouchDB:

Startup issues, most likely something wrong with the container config: https://github.com/klaemo/docker-couchdb/issues/41
Config disabled in Fauxton, how to enable CORS: https://github.com/klaemo/docker-couchdb/issues/42
Unrelated but interesting, admin user through env vars: https://github.com/klaemo/docker-couchdb/issues/43

A public cluster would be lovely. Easy to do with DigitalOcean. Point a domain at it (like
testing.couchdb.apache.org) and enable CORS so people can play with it.

Also, it seems as if the cool kids use Slack or Discord to create new communication channels
for OSS communities. Maybe that’s something to look into.

Concerning client libraries: PouchDB tests against 1.6.1 and 2.0-dev with Travis using our
Docker images. So that’s cool I think :)

Have a nice day,
Clemens

> Am 14.01.2016 um 12:45 schrieb Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>:
>
> Dear marketing team (cc dev@),
>
> over the holiday break I made first build for CouchDB 2.0 available and have written
up a document on how to get started with testing it at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BtndYr-0KDQTqBSLVdJoR_8C5ObYjT1RBo_Qyh5ykdQ/edit#
and I’ve also used Twitter to spread the word, and we’ve had this in last week’s weekly
news.

> But we’re not seeing a lot of people giving these builds a spin. I’m not 100% on
what to expect, but I would have expected a *little* more buzz around this :)

> Can you help brainstorm a few ideas on how to get this in front of more people, and how
to get them to try out CouchDB 2.0 alpha?

> These things are circling in my back of the head:
>
> - Maybe the doc is too dense and not fun enough, or to badly written, please suggest
any edits that you may think help (or scrap it and make an alternative, if you think it can’t
be saved :)

> - Some people reply with “do you know when it is out of alpha and in beta?”, because
they think alpha is to early to get into the game. I usually reply that we go beta as soon
as they reported all the issues they found, but it didn’t help yet ;) — How do we convince
those who *would* help, to help earlier?

> - Can we simplify the getting started experience?
>
> - Should we host a public cluster somewhere, that people can play with?
>
> - How do we get client library authors to test with CouchDB 2.0? (can we come up with
a .travis.yml file that they can maybe use in a 2.0 branch of their tree (maybe PouchDB has
something there already))

> - Can we simplify the procedure of how to report issues?
>
> - Can we put a feedback form into Fauxton? (maybe an embedded Google Form is enough?)
>
> - Can we put a web-chat pane into Fauxton, so people get a quick way to get into our
IRC channel?

> - Can we track installations somehow, e.g. along the lines of “send anonymous data
to the developers” where we can track the operating system / cluster config / maybe data
sizes etc? (all opt-in of course).

> - Can we make this a mmopg? Maybe we draw up a huge matrix of test configurations that
we’d like to see tested, and people get points for filling it out, and we can crown the
top-alpha-tester-champion or something?