couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: The future of couchapps
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2015 03:16:14 GMT
Robert,

> All these endpoints will be in CouchDB 2.0.
> In the event that _rewrite, _update, _show and _list become an optional add-on, Cloudant
will deploy that add-on to all our clusters.

This clarification was very much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Johs

> On 21. sep. 2015, at 17.25, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Johs,
>
> I think you’ve taken my reply out of context, but I can see that I’ve forced you
to read between the lines because I didn’t address the topic directly.

I feel that marketing@ should be exclusively about marketing topics, not development (current
or future).

> It is a fact that no development has been done on couchapps in years, it is also a fact
that couchapps are limited in their abilities. I share Jason’s concerns that it’s a bad
experience to achieve something with couchapps as they exist today only to run into a limit,
with no workaround.

> I define the couchapp support in CouchDB as these endpoints (and only these); _rewrite,
_update, _show and _list. These are each user-programmable server-side endpoints, stored within
a design document.

> I see no reason to drop those features. All I believe the PMC is saying is that couchapps
will not become more powerful than these endpoints unless some individual or group steps up
to do it; the core development team are explicitly saying that they are not working on it.

> All these endpoints will be in CouchDB 2.0.
>
> Now, to Cloudant. Cloudant is typically used in a database-as-a-service mode, where customers
have a front end and an application middle tier; ergo they do not use the four couchapp endpoints
much (_rewrite for its part in virtual hosting notwithstanding) but we have customers, at
various scales, using couchapp functionality and we plan to continue supporting those users.

> In the event that _rewrite, _update, _show and _list become an optional add-on, Cloudant
will deploy that add-on to all our clusters.

> Regards,
> Robert Newson
> CouchDB PMC and IBM Cloudant Senior Database Engineer
>

>> On 21 Sep 2015, at 03:30, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Robert,
>> for what I regard as a good closing statement for this thread.
>>
>> In my environment IBMs support has a very good brand rub-off effect and the support
for couchapps with hosting providers is what I think is important to recruit new developers
to Couch.
>> I will pick up the dialogue directly with Cloudant as to what we can expect specifically
on couchapp support going forward.

>> Johs
>> - looking forward to an Erlang programmer eager to pursue Couch app server functionality
respond to the welcome extended to her or him.

>>> On 20. sep. 2015, at 15.28, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Cloudant versus couchdb the plan is still code convergence. 2.0 is very close
imo and considerable effort has occurred within Cloudant to prepare to switch to it in our
production environment.

>>> As for what is staying Cloudant only, it's things like geospatial, the multi-tenancy
and the automation, monitoring and alerting that are needed to deliver a service. The database
and its ability to replicate and form fault tolerant clusters is open source and remaining
so. Cloudant will work directly on the asf repositories that now exist for future enhancements.

>>> B.

do the development work on the team.

without a good breakdown of what it means call "couchapps" provided there is a "hero" to do
the heavy lifting in terms of erlang programming

and I’d welcome them wholeheartedly.

"watch me", since this still is an open source community, and I am perfectly OK with there
being some emotions in this conversation. It is not about the nuances anymore, it is about
 100% of the PMC backing this.

has chosen to respond to the wholehearted welcome that has been extended.

and compatibility with the rest of the Couch ecosystem