couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Giovanni Lenzi <g.le...@smileupps.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2015 13:56:59 GMT
>> 8: database for the web!!!
> That I like
Glad you like it :)

> we can consider you as hostile against the CouchDB project and treat you
accordingly.

Your words are the only hostile things imho.. Anyway my post was much more
general and I was not asking of pushing Couchapps! But, even if actually
Smileupps can't contribute also with erlang code, I really hope in the
future we can afford to push some of our devs in the team too. So what I
was asking with my previous post was to not close the door to couchapps for
the future (e.g. by not mentioning or denying their usefulness). Is it
possible?

> CouchApp 2.0 ... I am still very eager to work on it, but RIGHT NOW, we
don’t have the resources as the project

I'm glad you say this. This reflects exactly our current position too :(
but I still hope in the future we can afford to work together on this.

Best

> [...]
> collectively to understand what the nature of it is.
>
> 2. Of course I cannot erase what CouchDB COULD BE, but CouchDB can only be
> what people are working on, and nobody is working on CouchApps, so I’m
> going with a vision that is backed up by the technology we have and working
> on.
>
> * * *
>
> I repeat: You won’t hold the project ransom for something you want, if you
> are not prepared to do the hard work of making your vision a reality.
>
> * * *
>
> And as I’ve outlined a number of times, I have a pretty good idea of how
> the Couch/Appserver thing could look like in the future, and it’d be 10000%
> better than what CouchApp has ever been, and I am still very eager to work
> on it, but RIGHT NOW, we don’t have the resources as the project, and we
> should focus on the the thing that makes CouchDB RELEVANT in the current
> computing ecosystem, not what a bunch of far-out developers find
> interesting.
>
> All major platform vendors today (Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple and
> Amazon) have a Backend-as-a-Service type offering with various degrees of
> sync/offline working.
>
> CouchDB + related projects are THE ONLY OPEN SOURCE alternative in this
> game, and it is a MASSIVE opportunity for us, not some esoteric way to do
> db/app-server stuff, that is hard to understand and that has (relatively)
> barely any users. We can make a SIGNIFICANT impact on the computing
> landscape of tomorrow, and I’m not interested in wasting that opportunity.
>
> Again, the project doesn’t have the resources to develop this further, and
> once we do, we have a fairly solid idea of how CouchApp 2.0 *could* look
> like, but RIGHT NOW, and probably EVEN THEN, this won’t be the major
> differentiator for a World Class Database System™.
>
> We are trying to put CouchDB on the path to success again, against fierce
> competition with hundreds of millions of dollars of VC funding that goes
> into engineering and marketing. We must focus on how we can make a
> difference with our limited resources in THAT CONTEXT, and an esoteric app
> programming platform is NOT it.
>
> * * *
>
> One final time:
>
> CouchDB is Open Source, if you want to see it going into a particularly
> direction, you are VERY welcome to do the work and push things forward and
> you will receive all the support you can imagine.
>
> If you continue to try to push the project into a different direction by
> not getting to work, but by just wasting the time of the people who spend
> their time on moving CouchDB forward, then we can consider you as hostile
> against the CouchDB project and treat you accordingly.
>
> This is isn’t just my personal opinion, I have the backup of the entire
> CouchDB PMC and the ASF Board. If you have any issues with that, I suggest
> you come to terms with the situation, or get to work as outlined above.

These kind of words are hostile, not surely my words!

--
Giovanni Lenzi
www.smileupps.com