couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB _rewrite
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2015 19:40:51 GMT
On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Johs. E <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
> Fellow CouchDB enthusiasts,
>
> Let me quote a dialogue I had the other day with a colleague on Couchapps and _rewrite:
>
>> > I would like to know what is so horrible with the vhost/rewrite of CouchDB
>> You must concentrate all rules in one place, that is totally out of idea ‘one app
– one ddoc’
>> Capturing mechanics is outrageously ugly and limiting. You can‘t capture on query,
only on path, and in very limiting manner. Obsolete for at least 15 years.
>> Rule lists are flat – they must be trees, since it‘s json, not SQL table of directory
with files.
>> It‘s all very brittle, error prone and imposes all possible hurdles during debug
– no err messages, no log, no validator.
>> And most important: it creates illusion, that it can fit everything – but it only
fits small static-like sites.
>> > Is it something that could be fed to the developers?
>>
>> Don‘t think anybody of them is interested. This functions assumed obsolete or impractical
by the vast majority of community, as I see. And I agree with them.

> Still with its limitations, I love _rewrite
> You direct the vhost to db/_design/api/_rewrite
> using so-called “unsafe” rewrites, you create an API for your many databases and
their couchapps there.
> It works beautifully.
> That is at Cloudant. I think I learned from an earlier discussion that the lack of a
“default vhost” is a problem outside Cloudant.
> Now Cloudant does not offer SSL unless you enter into a relationship with your local
IBM organization and buy a dedicated cluster under a std IBM contract, so

Just to clarify, we don't offer hosting custom SSL certs for
non-Cloudant domains unless you have dedicated cluster. Of course we
have SSL connections for clients to the *.cloudant.com domains.

I was just really confused when I read that at first. :D