couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 05:28:18 GMT
Proposal #1: -1

Slogan is quite too broad and fits better for some cloud data storage.
Mission is sounds like we only care about data sync. And it more looks
like a WHAT description.
Description is wrong about:
- Any leading cloud provides. There are only two of such;
- Not every native app loves JSON. JSON is a web thing and only exists
because of web and lack of love for XML. Outside there are much better
transfer format;
- JSON and binary attachments in the one sentence causes conflict
because JSON cannot work with binaries;
- Couch Replication Protocol sounds like a separate project that power
everything - why do people need CouchDB then?

Proposal #2: -1

Slogan is quite interesting and even could work.
But mission stands we we again only care about data sync.
Description repeats mistakes of the Proposal #1, but tries to be better.

What's more important that from both proposal it doesn't seems clear
about what they're talking about. Data where you need, replication
protocol, cloud provider, JSON, sync, offline - is that something like
dropbox?

Both proposals misses quite oblivious facts:
1. CouchDB is a database in the first place, not dropbox, rsync, cloud
service, or whatever;
2. It uses HTTP for API that speaks JSON;
3. It made in Erlang for the great scale;

Basically, if I just quote our website, it will describe CouchDB much
more better and precisely:

CouchDB is a database that completely embraces the web. Store your
data with JSON documents. Access your documents and query your indexes
with your web browser, via HTTP. Index, combine, and transform your
documents with JavaScript. CouchDB works well with modern web and
mobile apps. You can even serve web apps directly out of CouchDB. And
you can distribute your data, or your apps, efficiently using
CouchDB’s incremental replication. CouchDB supports master-master
setups with automatic conflict detection.

P.S. I'm not sure how it should be, but for me Mission should be
actionless statement. Mission is something you aimed to reach, it's a
goal, the holy grail. "Data that sync" is not a mission, it's a
feature and even incorrect because data itself cannot sync (;
--
,,,^..^,,,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as promised, here’s the vote for our new Slogan, Mission Statement, and Description.
>
> We have two contestants.
>
> Before I show them to you, here are the rules:
>
> 1. These aren’t final-copy-edit versions, but rough drafts that convey ideas. After
voting, we’ll go through them with a fine-toothed comb to get things all shiny.

> 2. The proposals don’t mean to capture a laundry list of your favourite features of
CouchDB. They are supposed to express the focal point that our community gathers around, the
thing that we all have in common, what excites us all about CouchDB. Vote accordingly.

> 3. This emails contains two proposals. Vote by replying to this email with your vote
just under each proposal where it says “Your Vote Here”.

> 4. Vote with +1 (I support this), +/-0 (I’m indifferent, but no harm done either way),
-1 (I don’t like this, for reasons A, B and C, (and please do include your reasons)).

> 5. You are welcome to qualify your vote with your take on either proposal.
>

> A note: Johs, I took some inspiration from your WHAT-part, I hope you don’t mind ;)
—  I think we are essentially voting on WHY and HOW anyway, as the WHAT is roughly the same
idea.

> Without further ado, here are our proposals.
>
> * * *
>
> Proposal #1:
>
> Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Apache CouchDB lets you access your data where you need it by defining
the Couch Replication Protocol that is implemented by a variety of projects and products that
span every imaginable computing environment from distributed server-clusters, over mobile
phones to web browsers. (HOW)

Your web- and native applications love CouchDB, because it speaks JSON natively and supports
binary attachments for all your data storage needs. The Couch Replication Protocol lets your
data flow seamlessly between server clusters to mobile phones and web browsers, enabling a
compelling, offline-first, user-experience while maintaining high performance and strong reliability.
CouchDB comes with a developer-friendly query language, and optionally MapReduce for simple,
efficient, and comprehensive data retrieval. (WHAT)

> Your Vote Here
>
> * * *
>
> Proposal #2:
>
> Slogan: Restful freedom (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Data that sync (HOW)

> Store your data safely, on your own servers or with any leading cloud provider. Your
web applications can follow the data if you want since CouchDB speaks JSON with any file type
attached. It lets you run your JavaScript on the server or in the browser. You can start with
the smallest of technology stacks and grow to serve millions of users -- following a learning
curve that doesn't break. Keep your data in sync and where your users need it to be, on the
device of their preference, online or offline. Share, combine, present, receive and update
documents via master-to-master replication and let web based services monitor changes for
additional processing. (WHAT)