couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The future of couchapps
Date Sat, 19 Sep 2015 17:45:52 GMT
Hi John,

The future of CouchApps is trivial and was already discussed on this
ML[1]: this feature stalled over 4 years already, it has quite enough
issues and limitations, it lacks maintainer. If something of these
won't change in nearest future, CouchApps are doomed. And all
solutions lies though the hero(es) who will maintain and develop this
feature.

The question here is not only about to keep existed code works. It's
also about vision of what CouchApps are, what they have to be, how to
evolve them and make really great and useful feature for CouchDB users
and not only.

Currently, there is no active leader of CouchApp feature in CouchDB
team, so this place is vacant and we are welcome everyone who would
like to take this duty on his/her shoulders.  Otherwise CouchApps will
continue to be feature of secondary type, sort of accidental side
effect from technical decisions of good past days. No need to say what
such state means. They may simply not survive next major release.

[1]: Follow this thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-marketing/201505.mbox/%3CCAPMhwa5R6CdeQP-m_FHfqYsJ4NDwLYiePuwrsi2bRfzifncRpw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
- it's long, but has all the same answers.

--

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
> Hi all -- both couchapp lovers and skeptics,
>
> I want to start a new thread based on the below conversation between Jan and Giovanni
at the end of the thread [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT.

> I am in the group of stakeholders that have a business that rely on CouchDB. And I use
couchApps hosted on Cloudant. I would like to see the community grow, not split again and
there seems to be a tone developing that I am sorry if I have been a contributor to. Rather
than having wide-reaching discussion about dream features of future couchapps, I will try
to stay on the subject of a future for couchapps or not.