couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <jason.h.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Song
Date Sun, 20 Sep 2015 01:29:06 GMT
At the outset: my biases:

* Sit on and agree with the PMC
* Built a company, Iris Couch, whose web site was 100% CouchApp
* Huge, huge Chris Anderson fan

I support the principle of CouchDB as an application server; however, I
have specific concerns with the current situation, as it is. I have long
argued against CouchApps, not against the philosophy (a CouchDB app server)
but against the execution: CouchApps are extremely developer-hostile, both
in the early stage (it is difficult to learn and understand) and in the
late stage (most problems cannot be solved with a CouchApp alone, so what's
the point?).

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-user/201108.mbox/%3CCAN-3CBJzhQrY9qmhdgRQGYijWiNgaKeMAFJBOE2FZPctdf5b-w@mail.gmail.com%3E

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
wrote:

> I'm going to echo what Harald says.  To me, one of Couch's great benefits
> is that it can serve apps.  The specific CouchApp tooling, I'm not so
> interested in - but basic support functions, in the database engine -
> that's pretty important.
>
> One thing that's really not clear, or well documented, are precisely which
> Couch API functions are specifically related to CouchApps (if any).  Which
> functions in Couch are there specifically to support serving apps?  What
> functions are folks talking about removing?  What exactly are we talking
> about here.

+1

Hear, hear! Let's begin a fresh discussion in dev@ to identify exactly what
changes we are talking about.

If I'm not wrong, the specific changes discussed in the PMC is primarily to
refactor some functions into plugins. Something like that could easily be
win-win.