couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 06:38:33 GMT
Hi,
I think using the present official description is a good idea, use this as the briefing then
try and get more proposals on the slogan/mission
> On 16. sep. 2015, at 07.28, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> CouchDB is a database that completely embraces the web. Store your
> data with JSON documents. Access your documents and query your indexes
> with your web browser, via HTTP. Index, combine, and transform your
> documents with JavaScript. CouchDB works well with modern web and
> mobile apps. You can even serve web apps directly out of CouchDB. And
> you can distribute your data, or your apps, efficiently using
> CouchDB’s incremental replication. CouchDB supports master-master
> setups with automatic conflict detection.
>
> P.S. I'm not sure how it should be, but for me Mission should be
> actionless statement. Mission is something you aimed to reach, it's a
> goal, the holy grail. "Data that sync" is not a mission, it's a
> feature and even incorrect because data itself cannot sync (;
I agree on this

'Data that sync' is at best a slogan candidate assuming that the data is what the target group
care about and that the syncing is the key differentiator.
Mission need to more like a raison d'etre
The "what" description will explain and inform, and the one above is good

A comment on how hard it seems to agree on any of this...

When you position a solution that does not fit into conventional categories, the quest is
really about pinpointing what is different, using existing terms and concepts.
In branding this is the classic dilemma,

identity is about belonging and uniqueness at the same time;
you need to reference what is in people's mind already to position something as new and unique.

If people cannot place it in between what is already in their head you have no hook, if it
fits into a well established category it will be another grey mouse, just smaller. Both ways
you loose.
A technique used in positioning is triangulation, you pick two well known "fix points" and
use them to explain your position.
Company C can position itself by comparing itself to company A and B, if both are very good
alternatives and thus convey, "we are as good as A and B, but we are different, come have
a look."

If there is a new round on the slogan quest, I would suggest the following pre-round:
Let the web site description be the WHAT for now
Discuss what 2 words need to be in the slogan or mission to connect CouchDB to well established
and valuable concepts.

Johs