couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Brainstorm: A new CouchDB tag-line?
Date Wed, 09 Sep 2015 15:45:40 GMT
I’d like to get this wrapped up and I propose a similar process to what we did for the logo:

1. Have us (marketing@) come up with a few alternative approaches (all addressing WHY, HOW,
WHAT, split out in a Slogan (WHY), Mission Statement (HOW) and Description (WHAT) that we
can use all over our messaging.

2. Put the candidates to a vote here on marketing@, the top 5-10 (if we get that many) then
go to a vote on dev@

3. From the vote result on dev@, the PMC then makes a decision on the final set.

It’d be great if we get this rounded up by ApacheCon EU (that’s Sept 28), and because
of that, I propose the following schedule:

marketing@ vote on Sept 15 (next Tuesday), gives us just under a week to drum up a few alternatives

dev@ vote on Sept 18 right after the marketing@ vote closes. There is no more discussion at
this point, this is an automatic procedure.

PMC starts deciding from Sept 21, right after the dev@ vote and we’ll try to get this wrapped
by Sept 25, so we have a few days to spare, and time to prepare materials for the 28th.

All aboard?

Best
Jan
--

> On 29 Aug 2015, at 11:56, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> (repost in the right thread, sorry about that)
>
> Thanks for getting this discussion going again, Joan!
>
> Here is where we discussed this last fall: Thread “New motto?”: http://apache.markmail.org/thread/6k6qtc65vtnse5ls
(incomplete results, because the MarkMail interface is weird, but should get you the main
parts)

our WHAT (context http://markmail.org/message/346bxv4v3sq7ofoj)

> Noah summed up our discussion back then (http://markmail.org/message/h2dm233yjuphtufw):
>
>> WHY -- Getting your data where ever you need it (mobile, geolocations, cloud, etc)
>
>> HOW -- Sync protocol (with CouchDB as the reference implementation)
>
>> WHAT -- Erlang, MapReduce, CouchDB Query, REST, JSON, JavaScript, etc., etc.
>

> The slogan we are looking for now is addressing the WHY and the WHY only. The HOW and
the WHAT also deserve treatment though, but these need to live elsewhere.

> Let’s attempt to organise this a little:
>
> Project name: Apache CouchDB
>
> Nickname: CouchDB
>
> Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Apache CouchDB aims to foster an ecosystem of software that can flexibly
share data with each other by defining a universal synchronisation protocol. (HOW)

by an ecosystem of projects that all work in concert to fulfil a universal vision: being able
to share and access data where it has the most value, from cross data-center cluster to mobile
phones. CouchDB is an Erlang-implementation of the Couch Sync Protocol with a strong focus
on reliability, durability and scaling. CouchDB uses HTTP for its API, JSON for documents,
and a developer-friendly query language and optionally MapReduce for efficient data retrieval.
(WHAT)

> * * *
>
> Let’s collect variations of this and counter examples, but let’s keep the same form:
> 1. Address the WHY, HOW and WHAT
> 2. Define: Name, Nickname, Slogan, Mission Statement and Description (we can rename the
labels later, for now it is important to get the copy text for the WHY, HOW and WHAT right).

> * * *
>
> FWIW: PouchDB nicked the “The database that syncs” from an email of mine on dev@
two years ago, when this was discussed first (and kudos to them for realising it is a great
slogan and running with it!). I see no harm in the two projects sharing this, or coordinating,
e.g. CouchDB: The database that syncs. PouchDB: The JavaScript database that syncs, or somesuch.
(not saying this is a proposal of mine, but if anyone wants to advocate it, I’d be happy
to listen and hear a proposal).