couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] WHY/HOW/WHAT
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 19:06:07 GMT
For the CouchApp lovers in this thread:

The code that powers CouchApps in CouchDB hasn’t been touched for half a decade. It has
no maintainers, it is buggy, lacks features, and nobody who is active on the project has any
interest in getting involved.

We are here to discuss the future of CouchDB and it is evident that CouchApp-like / Webserver/Appserver/Database-hybrid
features are not it, regardless of how excited or invested you are.

If you REALLY REALLY care about this particular feature set, you will have to step and MAKE
IT WORK in CouchDB. That means getting into the dirty C, Erlang and JS parts of CouchDB and
making this ready for the future. If you say, well, it isn’t so much work as I say, great!
Get cracking.

If you can’t get together and push this forward, the project will go with a direction that
its direct contributors are happy to work on, to maintain, fix and improve. And then any discussion
about how to maybe phrase CouchDB’s marketing message in a way that CouchApps are still
hot are totally NOT where this is going.

You won’t be willing the project into submission for you pet features by teaming up on these
discussions as a very vocal (dare I say attention vampire) minority, while the rest of us
are quietly trying to ship a kick as database for the future.

This is open source, we all get a say in where we want to see things going, but at the end
of the day, you will have to put in the elbow grease to make things happen like you want them.
We are liberal with giving out committership, there are literally no barriers to entry, except
for a half-decade old pile of technical debt that nobody else dares to touch.

*drops mic*

*picks up mic again*

PS: before you consider turning this into an ad-hominem attack, or some insinuation that I
am abusing my PMC Chair position to push through my personal agenda or vendetta against you
and your loved ones, or any of this sort of crap (that has come up before), keep it to yourself,
thanks.