couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: The future of couchapps
Date Mon, 21 Sep 2015 02:30:17 GMT
Thanks Robert,
for what I regard as a good closing statement for this thread.

In my environment IBMs support has a very good brand rub-off effect and the support for couchapps
with hosting providers is what I think is important to recruit new developers to Couch.
I will pick up the dialogue directly with Cloudant as to what we can expect specifically on
couchapp support going forward.

Johs
- looking forward to an Erlang programmer eager to pursue Couch app server functionality respond
to the welcome extended to her or him.

> On 20. sep. 2015, at 15.28, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Cloudant versus couchdb the plan is still code convergence. 2.0 is very close imo
and considerable effort has occurred within Cloudant to prepare to switch to it in our production
environment.

> As for what is staying Cloudant only, it's things like geospatial, the multi-tenancy
and the automation, monitoring and alerting that are needed to deliver a service. The database
and its ability to replicate and form fault tolerant clusters is open source and remaining
so. Cloudant will work directly on the asf repositories that now exist for future enhancements.

> B.
>
>> On 20 Sep 2015, at 09:49, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Joan,
>> for wrapping this up in a 100% PMC support for Jan's "watch me" on this.
>> It is good to know, so we who could contribute, but not as erlang programmers, hold
our horses.
>> I understand that we can be a big nuisance as long as there is no one to do the development
work on the team.

>> Just to sum my take-away:
>> The PMC will wholeheartedly welcome the continuation of work for what we without
a good breakdown of what it means call "couchapps" provided there is a "hero" to do the heavy
lifting in terms of erlang programming
>> We should not count on even the present functionality for "Couchapps" being present
in future releases

>> To #1 I attribute these statements:
>>> Jan Lehnardt 18. sep. 2015
>>> In my last email I specifically suggested for such a person to step up and I’d
welcome them wholeheartedly.

>> and to #2 I look at:
>> Jan's "watch me" response to Giovanni's
>>
>> and
>> Alex'
>>

>> Alex' more consequential prediction i presume is the meaning behind Jan's "watch
me", since this still is an open source community, and I am perfectly OK with there being
some emotions in this conversation. It is not about the nuances anymore, it is about  100%
of the PMC backing this.

>> For me it means leaving the community for now.
>> It doesn't make sense to me to spend time here until an Erlang programmer has chosen
to respond to the wholehearted welcome that has been extended.
>> I see CouchDB as part of a bigger ecosystem and will try to contribute at some other
node.

>> My best wishes for success and progress with hopes for extended openness and compatibility
with the rest of the Couch ecosystem