couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Brainstorm: A new CouchDB tag-line?
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:56:14 GMT
(repost in the right thread, sorry about that)

Thanks for getting this discussion going again, Joan!

Here is where we discussed this last fall: Thread “New motto?”: http://apache.markmail.org/thread/6k6qtc65vtnse5ls
(incomplete results, because the MarkMail interface is weird, but should get you the main
parts)

In there, we follow the search for our WHY, which defines our HOW and that in turn defines
our WHAT (context http://markmail.org/message/346bxv4v3sq7ofoj)

Noah summed up our discussion back then (http://markmail.org/message/h2dm233yjuphtufw):

> WHY -- Getting your data where ever you need it (mobile, geolocations, cloud, etc)

> HOW -- Sync protocol (with CouchDB as the reference implementation)

> WHAT -- Erlang, MapReduce, CouchDB Query, REST, JSON, JavaScript, etc., etc.

The slogan we are looking for now is addressing the WHY and the WHY only. The HOW and the
WHAT also deserve treatment though, but these need to live elsewhere.

Let’s attempt to organise this a little:

Project name: Apache CouchDB

Nickname: CouchDB

Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)

Mission Statement: Apache CouchDB aims to foster an ecosystem of software that can flexibly
share data with each other by defining a universal synchronisation protocol. (HOW)

by an ecosystem of projects that all work in concert to fulfil a universal vision: being able
to share and access data where it has the most value, from cross data-center cluster to mobile
phones. CouchDB is an Erlang-implementation of the Couch Sync Protocol with a strong focus
on reliability, durability and scaling. CouchDB uses HTTP for its API, JSON for documents,
and a developer-friendly query language and optionally MapReduce for efficient data retrieval.
(WHAT)

* * *

Let’s collect variations of this and counter examples, but let’s keep the same form:
1. Address the WHY, HOW and WHAT
2. Define: Name, Nickname, Slogan, Mission Statement and Description (we can rename the labels
later, for now it is important to get the copy text for the WHY, HOW and WHAT right).

* * *

FWIW: PouchDB nicked the “The database that syncs” from an email of mine on dev@ two years
ago, when this was discussed first (and kudos to them for realising it is a great slogan and
running with it!). I see no harm in the two projects sharing this, or coordinating, e.g. CouchDB:
The database that syncs. PouchDB: The JavaScript database that syncs, or somesuch. (not saying
this is a proposal of mine, but if anyone wants to advocate it, I’d be happy to listen and
hear a proposal).

* * *

Thanks!
Jan