couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed logo revision proposal
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:55:40 GMT
Oops, wrong thread, ignore!

> On 29 Aug 2015, at 11:50, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for getting this discussion going again, Joan!
>
> Here is where we discussed this last fall: Thread “New motto?”: http://apache.markmail.org/thread/6k6qtc65vtnse5ls
<http://apache.markmail.org/thread/6k6qtc65vtnse5ls> (incomplete results, because the
MarkMail interface is weird, but should get you the best parts)

our WHAT (context http://markmail.org/message/346bxv4v3sq7ofoj <http://markmail.org/message/346bxv4v3sq7ofoj>)

> Noah summed up our discussion back then (http://markmail.org/message/h2dm233yjuphtufw
<http://markmail.org/message/h2dm233yjuphtufw>):

>> WHY -- Getting your data where ever you need it (mobile, geolocations, cloud, etc)
>
>> HOW -- Sync protocol (with CouchDB as the reference implementation)
>
>> WHAT -- Erlang, MapReduce, CouchDB Query, REST, JSON, JavaScript, etc., etc.
>

> The slogan we are looking for now is addressing the WHY and the WHY only. The HOW and
the WHAT also deserve treatment though, but these need to live elsewhere.

> Let’s attempt to organise this a little:
>
> Project name: Apache CouchDB
>
> Nickname: CouchDB
>
> Slogan: Data where you need it. (WHY)
>
> Mission Statement: Apache CouchDB aims to foster an ecosystem of software that can flexibly
share data with each other by defining a universal synchronisation protocol. (HOW)

by an ecosystem of projects that all work in concert to fulfil a universal vision: being able
to share and access data where it has the most value, from cross data-center cluster to mobile
phones. CouchDB is an Erlang-implementation of the Couch Sync Protocol with a strong focus
on reliability, durability and scaling. CouchDB uses HTTP for its API, JSON for documents,
and a developer-friendly query language and optionally MapReduce for efficient data retrieval.
(WHAT)

> * * *
>
> Let’s collect variations of this and counter examples, but let’s keep the same form:
> 1. Address the WHY, HOW and WHAT
> 2. Define: Name, Nickname, Slogan, Mission Statement and Description (we can rename the
labels later, for now it is important to get the copy text for the WHY, HOW and WHAT right).

> * * *
>
> FWIW: PouchDB nicked the “The database that syncs” from an email of mine on dev@
two years ago, when this was discussed first (and kudos to them for realising it is a great
slogan and running with it!). I see no harm in the two projects sharing this, or coordinating,
e.g. CouchDB: The database that syncs. PouchDB: The JavaScript database that syncs, or somesuch.
(not saying this is a proposal of mine, but if anyone wants to advocate it, I’d be happy
to listen and hear a proposal).