couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Brainstorm: A new CouchDB tag-line?
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:06:35 GMT
Hey everyone,

I don't know where we landed on this discussion last time, but I'm
fairly sure we didn't come to any sort of agreement.

Our current tag-line for CouchDB is pretty unwieldy:

     "Apache CouchDB is a database that uses JSON for documents,
      JavaScript for MapReduce indexes, and regular HTTP for its API"

With the addition of mango, it's also inaccurate. I'm sure we can do
better!

Previously I remember seeing the suggestion:

  "Apache CouchDB: The database that {replicates|syncs}."

I'm finding that really snappy. If you had to pick a single feature that
CouchDB does better than anyone else, it's the multi-master replication.
It does leave out a lot of great things we do, though.

Here's the taglines of some of our "competitors":

"The Apache Cassandra database is the right choice when you need
scalability and high availability without compromising performance."

"Apache HBase™ is the Hadoop database, a distributed, scalable, big
data store."

"The Apache™ Hadoop® project develops open-source software for reliable,
scalable, distributed computing."

"CouchBase 3.0: A distributed database engineered for performance,
scalability, and simplified administration."

"MongoDB: Agility, scalability, performance. Pick three."

"Redis is an open source, BSD licensed, advanced key-value cache and
store."

"Riak KV is a distributed NoSQL database that is highly available,
scalable and easy to operate"

"ElasticSearch: Search & Analyze Data in Real Time"

What other ideas do you have for a tagline for CouchDB? The only rules
are: one sentence, the shorter the better, and focused on CouchDB's
unique strength(s).

-Joan

Disclaimer: This is brainstorming only. The discussion may or may not
lead to a new CouchDB tagline. Please, no negativity.