couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: Brainstorm: A new CouchDB tag-line?
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:39:24 GMT
Thanks Jan and Tim,

for bringing PouchDB into the discussion.
I think the revolutionary character of CouchDB can hardly
be understood without it. The subset of the data that you need,
with the software needed to read/manipulated is "just there".

If we dont wan't the WHAT in the slogan, we need to skip
the platform technologies, protocols, features, long lists
of benefits. It is about he data, a new way to think about
your data. Data that are* just "there", right where  you need
them, moving from one device to another,  from one location
to another, from one load to a whole new scale of operation,
clusters of – not just servers, but people – working on their
part of a big data set that is in sync across databases with
small, offline-first pouch subset of data feeding into corporate
or community clouds of data that is tapped into... etc etc

Sooner or later quantum computing will keep all data that we
choose to keep in sync by the power of quantum mechanics.
Until then CouchDB is a slow, old-fashion way of doing the same.
To talk about "the cloud" doesn't really help anymore.
With CouchDB, PouchDB, the browser, a fast computer and
a big disk, its all there -  just a URL away.

If we think of the slogan as an essential statement
that comes next to the name itself (for correctness with
Apache or for everyday use without Apache) you could argue
that by saying

CouchDB

you already said "database" since everyone would understand
from the name that you are talking about a database system.

Your data

is what you really care about With CouchDB, your data has
been given the quality that is far beyond "being syncronized",
the data is syncronizING and seamlessly blending with
applications stored as attachments,  JSON and ddocs.

With reference to the old
"Coming Soon to a Theater Near You" the story is..

            Data that sync
brought to a device near you by
              CouchDB

– So, what is CouchDB all about, in three words?
– Well in three words, CouchDB is about... data that sync

---------------------------------
           CouchDB
       Data that sync
---------------------------------

CouchDB is not the data, you could say.
"CouchDB – Data that sync" is a grammatical misconstruct.

Not if CouchDB is the synonym for "Data that sync".
In everyday life, I guess we already struggle with the correctness
of saying a data in a CouchDB database. I say "couch" when I
mean "a CouchDB database", others say "bucket".

Johs

* You could argue that using data as a plural, you focus on the information, rather than the
bits. Also one thing cannot sync alone.

Data is a plural of datum, which is originally a Latin noun meaning“something given.”
Today, data is used in English both as a plural noun meaning “facts or pieces of information”
( These data are described morefully elsewhere) and as a singular mass noun meaning “information”:
Not much data is available on flood control in Brazil.It is almost always treated as a plural
in scientific and academic writing. In other types of writing it is either singular or plural.