couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Katharina Jockenhöfer <ka...@thehoodiefirm.com>
Subject Fwd: [couchrest]
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:22:07 GMT

From: Katharina Jockenhöfer <katha@thehoodiefirm.com>
Subject: Re: [couchrest]
Date: 18 Jul 2015 21:47:30 CEST
To: andy@nms.de

On 17 Jul 2015, at 09:44, Andreas Wenk <ipad.wenk@gmail.com <mailto:ipad.wenk@gmail.com>>

Andy
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Samuel Lown <sam.lown@gmail.com <mailto:sam.lown@gmail.com>>
Date: 10 July 2015 at 13:31
Subject: [couchrest]
To: "couchrest@googlegroups.com <mailto:couchrest@googlegroups.com>" <couchrest@googlegroups.com
<mailto:couchrest@googlegroups.com>>

Hi All,

I wanted to communicate a pull request [1] I've been working on this week for the CouchRest
gem. There are a few possibly breaking API changes, so I've bumped the version up to 2.0.0.beta1.
Despite only being a PR, I've packaged a gem for convenience.

The change boils down to replacing RestClient with HTTPClient [2] which adds support for:

 * Persistent HTTP connections
 * Built-in streaming

As a consequence, I've added CouchRest's own exception models for response errors, instead
of relying on RestClient. Timeout or Connection errors are still handled directly by HTTPClient
which may or may not be a good idea.

Most of the API remains the same, but the recommended approach now is to send requests via
a `CouchRest::Server` instance instead of the less efficient `CouchRest#get` and related class
methods.

Persistent connections are a big win for performance, especially with SSL, and results with
our own system have been positive so far. I've not had time yet to create benchmarks yet.

Finally, I'm also working on CouchRest Model to support the new streaming API with views which
is way more efficient than loading massive view result sets into memory.

It'd be great if anyone out there has time to checkout the beta and let me know how it goes
before releasing a final version.

Best,
sam

[1] https://github.com/couchrest/couchrest/pull/109 <https://github.com/couchrest/couchrest/pull/109>