couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johannes Jörg Schmidt <schm...@netzmerk.com>
Subject Re: Blog Post
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:11:58 GMT

Let me describe what makes my tools different from the Python Couchapp
tool and Erica.

The bootstrap tools take the good parts of Couchapp while discarding
the not-so good parts. They take the concept of a file based
deployment a step further by providing a way to configure CouchDB and
populate database security objects from files.

You can compare Couchapp to CouchDB Push, but the latter takes a far
more minimalistic approach while embracing some Node goodness like
CommonJS modules and an API, as well as JSON support.

The tools I have written are very small tools which does only one
thing. They all offer a consistent JavaScript API and come with a CLI.

CouchDB Bootstrap combines the tools to a high level CouchDB
deployment tool, which can configure CouchDB, create user documents,
replications and handle different databases.

To recap, those are the main advantages of my tools:

* Handle multiple documents in several databases
* Use CommonJS modules
* Use plain JSON files
* Configure CouchDB
* Write security objects
* Provide a JavaScript API (for integration into npm, Grunt, Gulp...)
* Following the Unix philosophy of small, sharp tools
* Easy installation (at least for the Node folks)

Did this answer your question, Johs?

Johannes

On 11.06.2015 10:54, Johs. E wrote:
> Johannes, how would you say you tools are different from the good
> old couchapp utility? j
>> On 10 Jun 2015, at 17:11, Johannes Jörg Schmidt
>> <schmidt@netzmerk.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would love to cross post the Bootstrap chapter I wrote in
>> CouchDB Best Practices on the CouchDB blog:
>>
>> http://docs.ehealthafrica.org/couchdb-best-practices/#bootstrap
>> <http://docs.ehealthafrica.org/couchdb-best-practices/#bootstrap>

I think it would make sense to have it in the CouchDB blog because it