couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Giovanni Lenzi <g.le...@smileupps.com>
Subject Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)
Date Wed, 06 May 2015 06:47:41 GMT
@ermouth
> http://cloudwall.me/etc/json-editor.html – gonna make it couchapp editor,
AWESOME... cloudwall already deals with documents and attachments, so you
are already probably not too-far ahead.. That would be awesome!!  That
could really dramatically increase adoption-rate, by making CouchDB the
first platform-independent and browser-only development environment for
secure web applications.

@jan
> - a lose collection of features inside CouchDB that all have problems:
> - rewrite: not flexible enough, web devs expect more options for routing
Sorry... but Flexibility is probably the number one feature of Couchapps
and rewrite handler. Also the complete independency between 3 layers:
presentation, business logic and data provides huge development benefits..
it's not only academic definition
https://www.smileupps.com/couchapp-tutorial-chatty#simplifieddevelopment
https://www.smileupps.com/couchapp-tutorial-chatty-couchapp-design#chattyapidesign
https://www.smileupps.com/couchapps

Moreover Couchapps have system administration benefits other approaches
simply lacks:
- enable system wide queries, essentials to real-word scenarios: like a
simple "how many users have done that today?".. how can you do this type of
query, and how practical it is with a "database-per-user" approach?
- depending on your use case and the size of your data.. you can split data
into single or multiple databases for historical purposes(a database per
month/year) or depending on data type.. withouth the drawback of
exponential and uncontrollable growth typical of "database-per-user"

With this I'm not saying "database-per-user" is bad.. on the contrary, it's
VERY GOOD especially when data belongs to his own creator, thus for
offline-first and nobackend. PouchDB and Hoodie usefulness won't be
affected in any way by leaving Couchapps. On the contrary they can only
benefit by Couchapp features too, like security.