couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Giovanni Lenzi <g.le...@smileupps.com>
Subject Jan bias for Hoodie brought him to eradicate couchapps?!?!
Date Thu, 07 May 2015 03:13:57 GMT
Jan.. don't you think you are simply too biased for external projects, such
as your hoodie and pouchdb, to choose by your own, on a topic like
'retiring couchapps', so important to couchdb users and devs?

You REALLY can't mask it behind a marketing@ decision, of finding a story
you have already written, since a long time, and that you simply don'want
to change. Your story of the "data where you need it", does not have users
and industries consensus. You can't hide it!

You started with changing tooling names, sutting down couchapp domains and
forcing our company to change our old couchappy name (even if couchapp
wasn't even a trademark). We did it, because you promised visibility to us
and couchapps, which has never happened. We believed in your words and in
an healty pmc, but after this last move, we really can't think it anymore.

Couchapps are now much more powerful than they were in the past, also
thanks to our smileupps tutorials and app store platform, and to many other
improvements proposal already advanced by users, who instead would like to
improve them, not the contrary!!!

Your chance now is to completely eradicate a main recruiting couchdb
feature, before users can get aware of its potential, leading couchdb
towards a probable self-killing action. And the worst is you are doing
this, without any proven evidence and motivation, withouth asking devs of
its development complexity, and users what they think about it.

I definetely think you should:
1. HEAR YOUR COMMUNITY AND DEVS.. and if the consensus is 'don't remove
couchapps, but push them with aggressive marketing'.. well then.. just do
it!
2. Don't mark it absolutely as a marketing issue

And you sould do this, before this could really be faced in front of the
ASF board.