couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Giovanni Lenzi <g.le...@smileupps.com>
Subject Re: the future of couchapp
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 07:18:24 GMT
Hi Joan, thanks for your useful reminders. I think you hit the main point.

> *** TL;DR: the people who are willing to spend anywhere from
> thousands to millions of dollars on a CouchDB-based solution aren't
> interested in CouchApps. I think the discussion to date is missing
> this, and as such, is entirely unrepresentative of the current
> market for Apache CouchDB.
>

> The answer is that there are practically no customers of Cloudant/IBM
> who are banking on CouchApps for any serious need. Every client that
> I can think of - meaning they have a dedicated cluster, and aren't
> using the shared cluster service ....

Cloudant built out a document-level (and field-level!) security
> solution for one customer, about two years ago now. While there was
> initial interest, performance considerations lead to the solution
> being backburnered for further consideration. Even in that situation,
> CouchApps weren't the primary concern -- database-level enforcement
> of security rules *was*.
>

>From what you cc'ed and then say, it seems that CouchDB market should be
strictly the same as Cloudant market.. Is it this what Mike and you would
like to say? And if yes, why?

Why an Apache project, should strictly target companies with thousand to
millions dollars?
Is this allowed by "the apache way"?
Are there other Apache examples of company-driven project?

Sorry for all these questions but I am very very ignorant in this. I
thought a project should only be driven from its users as its most
important participants.

Thanks in advance for your useful answers.

--
Giovanni Lenzi
www.smileupps.com