couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Javier Candeira <jav...@candeira.com>
Subject Re: Two names: CouchDB & Couch App Server
Date Wed, 13 May 2015 08:21:55 GMT
My 2 cents, more as a CouchDB user than as a nominal committer.

a) I really like Tim's suggestion.

b) I've built two IoT prototypes where the applications were pushed to the
edge devices via regular couchdb replication of couchapps, and I loved it.
In fact, this feature was reason #2 (after replication) for picking CouchDB.

3.  Don't promise CouchApps are easy.

This is very smart. Marketing it as an advanced feature makes sense.
However, there's more than just ...

Instead, *CouchApps are **a way for non-novice developers to use CouchDB

> as both a database and an app server.*

CouchApps are also a mechanism for getting your app updates to the edge
devices. CouchDB on Rpi-class devices is a thing, and not all edge devices
are handheld clients with a browser.

c) If I understand correctly, there would be still only one product:
CouchDB 2.0 which stores and serves your data, replicates, clusters, shards
it *and* it also serves couchapps. The separation between CouchDB and
CouchAppServer would only be in the documentation/marketing, not in the
software shipped. Correct?