couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Weekly News for check
Date Wed, 13 May 2015 23:22:58 GMT
So much news! That's great! Thanks Katharina, all looks good for me.
--
,,,^..^,,,

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Katharina Jockenhöfer
<katha@thehoodiefirm.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> hereby I send you the draft of the Weekly News to be published tomorrow morning (9-9.30
am CET) and would invite you, whoever is up for a quick (late night or early morning) lectorate.
It’s late and my eyes don’t see no typos :). Hope you like the summary! –Cheers, Katharina

> CouchDB Weekly Meeting (see summary <http://wilderness.apache.org/archives/couchdb-meeting-13_05_2015-3255.html>)
>
> CouchDB 2.0 status: work is making progress. Help <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/302>
with a Windows version is much appreciated. Also, the _config endpoint for cluster interface
still needs to be figured out. Potentially using a database for config values. Discussion
<http://couchdb.markmail.org/search/?q=Configuration+in+CouchDB+2.0#query:Configuration%20in%20CouchDB%202.0%20order%3Adate-backward+page:2+mid:zo7dzfkvf6ifauy3+state:results>
(summary below) continues on on dev@.
> Fauxton: Can detect if running on a backdoor port now. The current workflow is risking
users to trigger a compaction in the whole cluster. 2.0 needs to tackle this issue in the
docs. Also, the conversion of the front page from backbone.js to react.js got merged in!
> Marketing: Get in touch with companies/organisations that use CouchDB to promote authentic
user voices e.g. on YouTube or as testimonials or authorised quotes.
> Meeting time: The IRC meeting shall be held an hour earlier – 18:00 UTC.
> Other business: Redesign of the ‘contribute’-section <http://robertkowalski.github.io/couchdb-www/>
on the CouchDB website progresses (summary of discussion below).

& HOW DO COUCHAPPS FIT INTO THE COUCHDB STORY? (ONGOING, SEE THREAD <http://couchdb.markmail.org/search/?q=How+do+CouchApps+fit+into+the+CouchDB+story%3F+%28Was%3A+CouchDB+Articles+Pills+and+Tutorials+Ideas%29+order%3Adate-backward#query:How%20do%20CouchApps%20fit%20into%20the%20CouchDB%20story%3F%20(Was%3A%20CouchDB%20Articles%20Pills%20and%20Tutorials%20Ideas)%20order%3Adate-backward+page:5+mid:no3jfksdxjcgxz4d+state:results>)

> The discussion on Marketing-ML around the future of CouchApps and its place with CouchDB
continued and subdivided into multiple threads, while the main points of discussion remained:

> how to fix the identity of CouchApps (design, naming etc.)
> within context of the CouchDB story of “Data where you need it.”
> and the CouchDB core features
> The common goal of this discussion is agreed on to be finding a way to strengthen the
overall CouchDB story for its greater good and to find a reasonable way to further handle
the functionalities of what are CouchApps today, so that they no longer lead to confusion
in the perception of what CouchDB is about. Especially renaming (or potentially take the name
“Couch” from CouchApps) is being discussed as a crucial step to mark a clear distinction,
e.g. in the follow-up thread.

> TWO NAMES: COUCHDB & COUCH APP SERVER (SEE THREAD <http://couchdb.markmail.org/search/?q=Two+names%3A+CouchDB+%26+Couch+App+Server#query:Two%20names%3A%20CouchDB%20%26%20Couch%20App%20Server%20order%3Adate-backward+page:1+mid:5nqgtdluklgngjiv+state:results>)
>
> A user suggested to “focus on marketing two concepts named ‘CouchDB’ and ‘Couch
App Server’.” as “a middle ground between the two extremes of ‘R.I.P. CouchApps’
and ‘CouchApps are CouchDB's greatest feature!’”

> THE FUTURE OF COUCHAPP (ONGOING, SEE THREAD <http://couchdb.markmail.org/search/?q=the+future+of+couchapp#query:the%20future%20of%20couchapp%20order%3Adate-backward+page:5+mid:kp2bthyeqh4dlqjg+state:results>)
>
> Another follow-up thread on the User- and Marketing-ML. Some users describe their personal
story of getting to know CouchDB and what they have learned about the role and use of CouchApps.
Discussion will continue on the Marketing-ML.

> CONFIGURATION IN COUCHDB 2.0 (ONGOING, SEE THREAD <http://couchdb.markmail.org/search/?q=Configuration+in+CouchDB+2.0#query:Configuration%20in%20CouchDB%202.0%20order%3Adate-backward+page:2+mid:zo7dzfkvf6ifauy3+state:results>)
>
> In the Fauxton team that is using CouchDB 2.0, it has been discussed to remove the config
tap or how to achieve a better way to make configuration work on cluster-wide interfaces and
prevent the unwitting use of config on backdoor ports. Config changes and other solutions
are being discussed for 2.0.

> COUCHDB WEBSITE: CONTRIBUTING REDESIGN / TEXT HELP (SEE THREAD <http://couchdb.markmail.org/search/?q=CouchDB+website%3A+contributing+redesign+%2F+text+help#query:CouchDB%20website%3A%20contributing%20redesign%20%2F%20text%20help%20order%3Adate-backward+page:2+mid:dgvjpwnxie6pji5j+state:results>)
>
> It was proposed to introduce a clear overview, visually presented as cards, of the various
subprojects and what is required to be able to contribute on them. Some contributors teamed
up to compose crisp onboarding text <https://gist.github.com/nolanlawson/09cab7798aed9ec9044c>
for this overview, to help address the right users for the respective projects.

> Releases in the CouchDB Universe
>
> couchdb-view-tester 2.0.0 <https://www.npmjs.com/package/couchdb-view-tester> –
Your friendly helper to quickly iterate on CouchDB views
> couchdb-ddoc-test 1.0.0 <https://www.npmjs.com/package/couchdb-ddoc-test> – CouchDB
Design Doc Testing Tool
> couchdb-fixture 0.1.1 <https://www.npmjs.com/package/couchdb-fixture/> – Initialize
a CouchDB database with fixtures meant for use with mocha
> couch-promised 1.0.1 <https://www.npmjs.com/package/couch-promised> – A promise-based
wrapper around CouchDB. CouchPromised does not aim to be a full- featured CouchDB client and
instead aims to provide a minimal set of methods for some of the most common interactions
> couchdb-purge 1.0.2 <https://www.npmjs.com/package/couchdb-purge> – Purge CouchDB
documents
> fauxton 1.0.2 <https://www.npmjs.com/package/fauxton> – Fauxton is a modular
CouchDB dashboard and Futon replacement
> hapi-auth-couchdb-cookie 3.0.0 <https://www.npmjs.com/package/hapi-auth-couchdb-cookie>
– CouchDB Cookie authentication plugin
> Opinions and other News in the CouchDB Universe
>
> Documentation: CouchDB Best Practices by eHealthAfrica.org <http://docs.ehealthafrica.org/couchdb-best-practices/>
> Article: Why Developer Experience Matters by @Cloudant @CloudExpo <http://www.sys-con.com/node/3331565>
– “In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate for IBM Cloudant,
will outline his views on the three key components of a great developer experience: self-service,
composability and hackability.”
via asyncstorage-down <https://github.com/nolanlawson/pouchdb-async-storage>; the only
remaining blocker is XHR bugs <https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/issues/3787>.
> Big fix <https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/issues/3699> for a memory leak in retry
replication came in for PouchDB.
> PouchDB does Chaos Monkey-style testing <https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/pull/3767>.
> Embrace the extensive list of PouchDB plugins <http://pouchdb.com/external.html>.
> CouchTec SoftApps <http://www.couchtec.com/#/> provide business valued Any-Device-Apps
based on CouchDB-/CouchApps-/Design Document Technology without need of extra tools except
deployment
> Use Cases, Questions and Answers
>
> Use Cases:
>
> Talk: Eugenio Marletti from Clue App – “Holy Sync: A sane approach to offline-first
cross-platform data syncing” <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp1h3cd8dsg> on base
of CouchDB, with the example of the mobile period tracker Clue <http://www.helloclue.com/>.
“The logo is a lazy person - so it looks like a perfect fit” :D (Droidcon Turino/April
10, 2015)

<https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pulls> and join the project!
required! – Get in touch with us <http://couchdb.apache.org/#contribute>.
> Do you want to help moving the CouchDB docs translation forward? We'd love to have you
in our L10n team! See our current status and languages we'd like to provide CouchDB docs in
on this page <https://translate.apache.org/projects/CouchDB/>. If you'd like to help,
or ping Andy Wenk (awenkhh on IRC).
> We'd be happy to have you on board!
>
> Events
>
> May 14, Brisbane, Australia: Brisbane NoSQL Group <http://www.meetup.com/BNoSQL/events/221810101/>
> May 19, New York, US: SQLNYC Meetup <http://www.meetup.com/mysqlnyc/events/221418628/>
> Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
>
> Backend Web Developer JAVA (m/w) (CouchDB exp. ‘nice to have’) <https://careers.stackoverflow.com/jobs/87944/backend-web-developer-java-m-w-mylivn?searchTerm=couchdb>,
Munich, Germany
> Senior Systems Administrator (CouchDB exp. ‘desirable’) <https://careers.stackoverflow.com/jobs/82819/senior-systems-administrator-it-to-change-the-sparx?searchTerm=couchdb>,
Exeter, UK
> Time to relax!
>
> Web Annotation Is Already A Scale. Three takeaways from I Aonntate 2015 <https://medium.com/meedan-updates/web-annotation-is-already-at-scale-8bb0dbfc0c9>
– “I was particularly struck by one group’s concept of a configurable ‘filter’ that
could help make sense of the many annotations across the web, bringing value to different
groups of people. It’s an exciting time to build standards and interoperability so annotations
can communicate with each other.”
> The importance of being uncomfortable. <https://medium.com/@bougie/the-importance-of-being-uncomfortable-aec8a6933ac7>
– “We all know that it’s important to be honest with each other. It’s one of the first
things we learn as children, right up there with “share” and “play nice.” But honesty
is hard. We spend a lot of time trying not to be uncomfortable.”
> The Recompiler: An Interview with Audrey Eschright <http://geekfeminism.org/2015/05/04/the-recompiler-an-interview-with-audrey-eschright/>
– “Audrey’s newest project is The Recompiler, a feminist hacker magazine that will be
launching in summer of 2015. Given Audrey’s successful track record, The Recompiler promises
bring something wonderful and valuable to the lives of many technically-minded people.”
> The Pipeline Isn't The Problem: Dissecting The Real Gender Bias in Tech Positions <http://www.fastcompany.com/3045989/strong-female-lead/the-pipeline-isnt-the-problem-dissecting-the-real-gender-bias-in-tech-pos>
– “Talented women like Seka face additional obstacles to being a woman in tech—feeling
even more insecure and unsupported for not being ‘techie’ enough.”
> … and also in the news
>
> “FACT: most "big data" is actually two small datas standing on each other shoulders
wearing a trenchcoat and sunglasses.” (@mhoye <https://twitter.com/mhoye/status/595667665907261441>
via twitter)