couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)
Date Tue, 05 May 2015 09:08:06 GMT
Hi,

Jan thanks for raising this important topic!

As I had been around and participated when JChris, Jan and others started
CouchApps and Benoit took over the work, I am a bit sad, that CouchApps
started to confuse people. And yes it is true, they are limited but have
their place in the history of CouchDB. Far more, it can easily be seen as
the evolutionary basis for Hoodie and that is a good thing imho.

We should give CouchApps a place to live in the CouchDB ecosystem (not
meant technically). So my proposal is to reactivate couchapp.org and write
one page with info about

* what CouchApps are
* how one can create one (links to doku)
* what alternatives there are (kanso, hoodie ...)

Furthermore we should include a link on couchdb.org to couchapp.org.

I think it would be wrong to leave people still in the dark even though
nowadays we think, CouchApps is not the way one should create a WebApp
based on CouchDB (and I don't think the approaches to create CouchApps was
foolish Jan ;-)). It is our responsibility to clarify what CouchApps are
and why one should move forward to sth. better. With clarification comes
clarity

All the best

Andy

--