couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Fwd: NoSQL Weekly - Issue 233
Date Tue, 19 May 2015 18:46:39 GMT
Hey ho,

two mentions in the NoSQL Weekly ... nice ;-)

http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=b90d26e43a&e=7965148edf

http://nosqlweekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=654a4e60e3&e=7965148edf

Cheers

Andy
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: NoSQL Weekly <rahul@nosqlweekly.com>
Date: 14 May 2015 at 17:31
Subject: NoSQL Weekly - Issue 233
To: andy@nms.de

<http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=516f35d71b&e=7965148edf>
      Welcome to issue 233 of NoSQL Weekly. We have a packed issue this
week. Enjoy it!

*News*

MarkLogic raises $102 million in new funding
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=04749e37f8&e=7965148edf>
MarkLogic Corporation announced that it has closed a $102M round of funding
to fuel growth to satisfy global market demand for the MarkLogic Enterprise
NoSQL database platform. The funds will be used to accelerate the company's
global market expansion across Europe, Japan and Asia Pacific, expand its
thriving partner ecosystem, and to support continued innovation of the
industry's only new-generation database platform purpose-built for the
enterprise.

*Articles, Tutorials and Talks*

Using Neo4j Spatial with Mapbox / Leaflet.js to search for businesses by
location
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=fe4de8fcd1&e=7965148edf>
A common use-case for database queries is to search for things that are
close to other things or within some specified geospatial boundary.
Geospatial indexes and queries are offered by NoSQL databases, such as
MongoDB and relational databases such as PostgreSQL. But what about graph
databases? In this article, I show how to create a web application to
search within a user-defined boundary powered by the Neo4j graph database.

Beating the Traffic Jam Using Embedded Devices, OPC-UA, Akka and NoSQL
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=343c7b80a2&e=7965148edf>
The Norwegian Public Roads Administration is building a new infrastructure
for road traffic measurements, and the system will provide near real-time
information as publicly available open data. Kristoffer Dyrkorn presents
the experience gained underway, such as architectural choices, tradeoffs
and mistakes - and knowledge from integrating an unusual combination of
software, protocols and hardware.

Thinking in Documents: Part 2
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=28215f4145&e=7965148edf>
In part 1 of this 2-part blog series, we introduced the concept of
documents and some of the advantages they provide. In this part, we will
start to put documents into action by discussing schema design. We will
cover how to manage related data with embedding and referencing, we'll
touch on indexing and the MongoDB transaction model.

Getting Started with the Node.js LoopBack Connector for ArangoDB
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=51893e4cad&e=7965148edf>
We've already covered Couchbase Server using loopback-connector-couchbase
and RethinkDB with loopback-connector-rethinkdb. Today, we'll be discussing
connecting LoopBack and ArangoDB using another community contributed
connector - loopback-connector-arango.

Using Python and Neo4j for Data Analytics
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=1346ec1133&e=7965148edf>
In this talk, you'll learn how to use Python to collect data from Twitter's
API, Neo4j to easily and reliably store this highly-connected data, and
Python again for quick analysis and visualization.

Connecting and Working with CouchDB with Node & Express
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=b90d26e43a&e=7965148edf>
In this article we will look at how to connect to your CouchDB instance and
then we will go all the way to building models which implement your
business logic.

How to Load Test MongoDB with JMeter
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=116c62b498&e=7965148edf>
When performance testing you usually need to check the entire application
to measure the end-user experience. But it's sometimes easier to test each
database component separately if you want to check the response times for
certain queries, the efficiency of horizontal scaling, replications,
failovers and resilience, and to ensure the database is properly tuned you
won't hit a bottleneck or be denied service.  This post is going to guide
you through MongoDB load testing with Apache JMeter, highlight frequently
faced problems along with their workarounds, and explain and demonstrate
some of MongoDB's most common tasks.

What Finance can learn from Dating Sites
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=b05bbed776&e=7965148edf>
In this presentation, you will see how in many ways dating sites are
getting better performance and more value out of their data than financial
institutions by using Neo4j.

How-To Backup Cassandra Hosted on the AWS Cloud - Part 1
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=e468eb50ed&e=7965148edf>
In this two part series, we will introduce Cassandra's architecture to you
and describe it's inherent backup mechanism for a single and multi node
Cassandra setup on AWS cloud.  The part one shows you a quick way to backup
and restore a Cassandra database hosted on AWS using inherent Cassandra
mechanisms.

   - How-To Backup Cassandra Hosted On The AWS Cloud - Part 2
   <http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=8ad46a98e5&e=7965148edf>

Retail Reference Architecture Part 2: Approaches to Inventory Optimization
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=213bf95143&e=7965148edf>
In part one of our series on retail reference architecture we looked at
some best practices for how a high-volume retailer might use MongoDB as the
persistence layer for a large product catalog. This involved index, schema,
and query optimization to ensure our catalog could support features like
search, per-store pricing and browsing with faceted search in a highly
performant manner. Over the next two posts we will be looking at approaches
to similar types of optimization, but applied to an entirely different
aspect of retail business, inventory.

Document Classification with Neo4j
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=c71d7b8bca&e=7965148edf>
In this talk, Neo4j Developer Evangelist Kenny Bastani will discuss using
Neo4j to perform document classification. He will demonstrate how to build
a scalable architecture for classifying natural language text using a
graph-based algorithm called Hierarchical Pattern Recognition. This
approach encompasses a set of techniques familiar to Deep Learning
practitioners. Kenny will then introduce a new Neo4j unmanaged extension
that can train natural language models on Wikipedia articles to determine
which articles are most related based on a vector of shared features.

Learning Node.js: Building A Simple API Powered By MongoDB
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=c10b00f844&e=7965148edf>

Performance doubling with message coalescing
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=c8748e9267&e=7965148edf>

Apache HBase Performance Tuning
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=6ca87cf20f&e=7965148edf>

Clustering customers for machine learning with Hadoop and Mahout
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=40a13a0f94&e=7965148edf>

CouchDB Best Practices
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=654a4e60e3&e=7965148edf>

Hadoop Summit Europe 2015 Videos
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=fc138aba3d&e=7965148edf>

*Books*

HBase Design Patterns
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=cb59f8fa79&e=7965148edf>
If you are an intermediate NoSQL developer or have a few big data projects
under your belt, you will learn how to increase your chances of a
successful and useful NoSQL application by mastering the design patterns
described in the book. The HBase design patterns apply equally well to
Cassandra, MongoDB, and so on.

*Interesting Projects, Tools and Libraries*

Leanote
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=225afedcf8&e=7965148edf>
Not Just A Notepad! (golang + mongodb)

Zoom
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=5f12d4e841&e=7965148edf>
A blazing-fast datastore and querying engine for Go built on Redis.

Fauxton
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=e05cb2283d&e=7965148edf>
Fauxton is a modular CouchDB dashboard and Futon replacement.

Morest
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=45f8304fe0&e=7965148edf>
Allows developers to quickly create RESTful APIs using a mix of MongoDB,
Express and NodeJS.

pouchdb-migrate
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=fc9fd919b6&e=7965148edf>
PouchDB plugin for running migrations.

dynamodb-atomic-counter
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=dd1b59a64d&e=7965148edf>
This library provides atomic counters using Amazon DynamoDB. Each increment
request increments a counter value that is stored in a DynamoDB table
(named "AtomicCounters" by default). Multiple increment requests can be
sent simultaneously but each request will receive a unique value, therefore
this library can be use to generate auto-increment ids.

reactiveneo
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=f12959b76f&e=7965148edf>
Reactive type-safe Scala DSL for Neo4j.

Dynamiq
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2d44bfcf39&e=7965148edf>
A simple implimentation of a queue on top of riak.

*Upcoming Events and Webinars*

Couchbase Connect 2015
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=c2a87dd9f6&e=7965148edf>
Join over 1,000 technology leaders, architects, developers and
administrators for three full days of web, mobile and IoT app development.
Get a deep dive into Couchbase's cutting edge innovation and the big data
architectures of some of the world's leading brands.

Webinar: When to Use MongoDB
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=e2a028cb11&e=7965148edf>
In this webinar you will learn when to use MongoDB and how to evaluate if
MongoDB is a fit for your project. You will see how MongoDB's flexible
document model is solving business problems in ways that were not
previously possible, and how MongoDB's built-in features allow running at
scale.

Webinar: Migrating from MySQL to Neo4j
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=8b6f346512&e=7965148edf>
Join us for this webinar as Nicole White, Data Scientist for Neo4j,
demonstrates how simple it is to migrate from MySQL to Neo4j. In this
webinar, you will learn: Building the data model and data relationships,
Exporting from MySQL and importing into Neo4j with ease, Transforming SQL
queries into Cypher for fast query performance.

Azure DocumentDB: Massively-Scalable, Multi-Tenant Document Database
Service - New York, NY
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=a591c26ddf&e=7965148edf>
In this session, we will discuss the design of DocumentDB storage system
and why this makes developers' lives better.

How Medium Uses Neo4j - San Francisco, CA
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=5a936e6e80&e=7965148edf>
Medium has built their own system of managing their data, using Go and
Neo4j. They use Neo4j for their "Social graph". Join us as Nat Felsen,
Engineer at Medium talks a bit about this system, lessons learned from
their deployment, and why they chose Neo4j/Go.

Storm: A Big Data tool for your Small Data problems - New York, NY
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=dd62f6471b&e=7965148edf>
 Apache Storm is usually discussed in the context of solving "big data"
problems, overlooking its characteristics that make it applicable to more
mundane "small data" problems. This talk focuses on how Storm can help you
write code that is: Easier to understand, Easier to monitor, Simpler to
scale and Fault tolerant.

Cleveland Big Data and Hadoop Meetup May 2015 - Cleveland, OH
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=1d72cf66f7&e=7965148edf>
There will be following talks

   - IPython Notebook as a Unified Data Science Interface for Hadoop
   - Hadoop Security
   - Modern Machine Learning: Free Form Modeling for Real World Problems

*Share NoSQL Weekly*  [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D516f35d71b&t=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20233>
[image:
Twitter]
<http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20233%20-%20http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2Fbnkv9f>
[image:
Reddit]
<http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D516f35d71b&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20%20-%20Issue%20233>
[image:
StumbleUpon]
<http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D516f35d71b&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20233>
[image:
DZone]
<http://www.dzone.com/links/add.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive1.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D516f35d71b&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20233>
[image:
LinkedIn] [image: Digg]
<http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D516f35d71b&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20233>
[image:
Delicious]
<http://del.icio.us/post?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D516f35d71b&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20233>
[image:
Slashdot]
<http://slashdot.org/bookmark.pl?title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20233&url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive1.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D516f35d71b>

   You are receiving our weekly newsletter because you signed up at
http://www.NoSQLWeekly.com.

Unsubscribe
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2f0470315b&e=7965148edf&c=516f35d71b>
andy@nms.de from this list | Forward to a friend
<http://us2.forward-to-friend1.com/forward?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=516f35d71b&e=7965148edf>
| Update your profile
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/profile?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2f0470315b&e=7965148edf>
*Our mailing address is:*
NoSQL Weekly
Brooklyn
Brooklyn, New York 11228

Add us to your address book
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/vcard?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2f0470315b>

*Copyright (C) 2015 NoSQL Weekly All rights reserved.*

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany