couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: the future of couchapp
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 05:01:21 GMT
Jan,

Hi PMC,
I would like to share my two favourite definitions of marketing.

1) the externally oriented:
Create value and extract a fair share of it

Even if it is the Harvard Business School definition and points at monetary reward proportionate
to the (much bigger) value created for customers (users), I think it applies. CouchDB developers
create value for users, for which they are rewarded in more than economical ways. Reward is
in the end proportionate to the value created for external parties.

2) the internally oriented:
Align resources to meed customer needs

This is why it is so important to have target groups and distribution channels in mind. CouchDB
has more than one target group, reducing it to the core developers themselves in a “I do
what inspires me” is of course the extreme, but even reducing the target group to developers
with a specific skill set is a dramatic choice, as is reducing the target group to developers
at large, since they are often not the most influential decision makers in the selection of
technology. When a developer suggests a technology to a customer or a management team they
will be looking at the challenge of recruiting people as one of their first concerns.

Imagine the developer who says CouchDB seems like the most promising NoSql option, and his
non-developer peers do this:
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=couchdb%2C%20redis%2C%20mongodb&date=1%2F2009%2073m&cmpt=q&tz=
<https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=couchdb, redis, mongodb&date=1/2009 73m&cmpt=q&tz=>

Wouldn’t it be nice if a million young developers were playing with the technology in a
way that recruited another million and those two millions recruited another two millions and….
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=couchdb%2C%20couch%20app%2C%20react.js%2C%20angular.js&date=1%2F2009%2073m&cmpt=q&tz=
<https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=couchdb, couch app, react.js, angular.js&date=1/2009
73m&cmpt=q&tz=>

What would it take?
You are spot-on re Couch apps here, Jan :

> On 11 May 2015, at 18:53, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> FWIW, I don’t think there’d be massive changes, just some rearrangements and some
additions and some cuts and mostly story telling on our various media outlets.

What is stopping us right now, is a misconception of what marketing actually is.
Marketing is much more than promotion -- like language is much more than speaking French or
writing in C. It is fundamentally about 2-way communication with the audience you choose.

I am not looking for a Wozniak/Jobs or Straubel/Musk kind of balance between the developer
and marketing discipline.
Jan, your “can play a role” through “figuring out the story” is more than enough for
me, but I don’t see the point in contributing if the PMC keeps up the policing against discussions
about features.

>> marketing@ can play a role in defining the features of CouchDB through
>> the figuring out the story of CouchDB.

The best part of your take on this is that it is not a one-way street from communicators to
developers or vice versa, which seems to be where the present misconception is rooted. There
needs to be certain portion of mutual respect between at least those two disciplines for marketing
to happen. Defining features and figuring out the story is an iterative, dialogue-based process,
where starting in one end is not better than starting in the other.

Johs