couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: the future of couchapp
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 12:28:51 GMT
I've always preferred the functional view of marketing:  Lead Generation.
After getting someone's attention, and getting them to ask for more
information, then we're talking sales.

Miles Fidelman

Johs Ensby wrote:
> Jan,
>
> Hi PMC,
> I would like to share my two favourite definitions of marketing.
>
> 1) the externally oriented:
> Create value and extract a fair share of it
>
> Even if it is the Harvard Business School definition and points at monetary reward proportionate
to the (much bigger) value created for customers (users), I think it applies. CouchDB developers
create value for users, for which they are rewarded in more than economical ways. Reward is
in the end proportionate to the value created for external parties.

> 2) the internally oriented:
> Align resources to meed customer needs
>
> This is why it is so important to have target groups and distribution channels in mind.
CouchDB has more than one target group, reducing it to the core developers themselves in a
“I do what inspires me” is of course the extreme, but even reducing the target group to
developers with a specific skill set is a dramatic choice, as is reducing the target group
to developers at large, since they are often not the most influential decision makers in the
selection of technology. When a developer suggests a technology to a customer or a management
team they will be looking at the challenge of recruiting people as one of their first concerns.

> Imagine the developer who says CouchDB seems like the most promising NoSql option, and
his non-developer peers do this:
<https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=couchdb, redis, mongodb&date=1/2009 73m&cmpt=q&tz=>

> Wouldn’t it be nice if a million young developers were playing with the technology
in a way that recruited another million and those two millions recruited another two millions
and….
> https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=couchdb%2C%20couch%20app%2C%20react.js%2C%20angular.js&date=1%2F2009%2073m&cmpt=q&tz=
<https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=couchdb, couch app, react.js, angular.js&date=1/2009
73m&cmpt=q&tz=>

> What would it take?
> You are spot-on re Couch apps here, Jan :
>> On 11 May 2015, at 18:53, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I don’t think there’d be massive changes, just some rearrangements and
some additions and some cuts and mostly story telling on our various media outlets.
> What is stopping us right now, is a misconception of what marketing actually is.
> Marketing is much more than promotion -- like language is much more than speaking French
or writing in C. It is fundamentally about 2-way communication with the audience you choose.

> I am not looking for a Wozniak/Jobs or Straubel/Musk kind of balance between the developer
and marketing discipline.
> Jan, your “can play a role” through “figuring out the story” is more than enough
for me, but I don’t see the point in contributing if the PMC keeps up the policing against
discussions about features.

>>> marketing@ can play a role in defining the features of CouchDB through
>>> the figuring out the story of CouchDB.
>
> The best part of your take on this is that it is not a one-way street from communicators
to developers or vice versa, which seems to be where the present misconception is rooted.
There needs to be certain portion of mutual respect between at least those two disciplines
for marketing to happen. Defining features and figuring out the story is an iterative, dialogue-based
process, where starting in one end is not better than starting in the other.