couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Nick Pavlica <lini...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [NOTICE] Submissions for the new CouchDB logo are open
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2015 19:42:43 GMT
Hi Alexander,

  You make a good point, and is something that I have spent many hours
thinking about.  The reality is that these projects are so similar in name,
heritage, and scope that there will always be some overlap in their
identity without making some changes.  One of the easy changes that could
be done to help separate the two identities would be to select a different
color pallet for the project.  The most effective move to separate the
identities would be to change the name of the project, but i'm speculating
that wont happen.  As you know, I'v submitted many design concepts, and in
my opinion they were unnecessarily complex trying to make too large of a
distinction between the two projects.  In the end, this image, and many of
the other submissions that have made it to the finals list are all simply
red couches of varying shapes.  From a design perspective, it's difficult,
if not impossible to create a design that's good on the web, mobile, print,
etc.,  is timeless, and doesn't share some commonality with a project that
is so similar.  In fact, this is currently a problem with the existing logo
as mentioned before.  With the image that I'm currently advocating, it
would be trivial to change the color at any time, use it in a positive or
negative color space, stack it, or anything else that the project would
like to do with it.  The example PDF, just illustrates a few of the options
we have.  I didn't include more because I don't want to overwhelm everyone
with options.  From my perspective, the two logos are as distinct as they
can be given the current set of constraints, and following good design
practices.

Here is  a link to a pdf with the same examples that I shared earlier with
the Couchbase logos added to it so that it's easier to directly compare and
contrast the two:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1tDFdIIJePNQjhKcWhmV25IMU0/view?usp=sharing

Here is a link to an older comparison that I did with some earlier
submissions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1tDFdIIJePNQWU5MW1VZm4xb00/view?usp=sharing

This is definitely a unique design problem, and has been a joy to work on.
Hopefully, I've added some clarity from a designers perspective.

Best Regards!
-- Nick