couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Fwd: NoSQL Weekly - Issue 230
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:29:44 GMT
Hey Katharina,

There are many interesting links in the below Nosql news ....

All the best

Andy
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "NoSQL Weekly" <rahul@nosqlweekly.com>
Date: Apr 23, 2015 17:30
Subject: NoSQL Weekly - Issue 230
To: <andy@nms.de>

<http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=57c1430be7&e=7965148edf>
      Welcome to issue 230 of NoSQL Weekly. Let's get straight to the links
this week.

*From Our Sponsor*

<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=8152feb1c8&e=7965148edf>
Want
to work on new projects? Try out a new stack? Join Hired and discover new
opportunities from over 2,000 pre-approved tech companies around the US and
UK. Join today!
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=8c6206c70e&e=7965148edf>

*News*

Announcing Linkurious Enterprise – The first data visualization platform
for graph databases
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=c6398b8646&e=7965148edf>
Linkurious has announced the public release of Linkurious Enterprise, the
first data visualization platform for graph databases. Linkurious
Enterprise helps organizations extract insights from their graph data in a
safe and collaborative way.

CenturyLink Acquires Orchestrate
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=f65043ed34&e=7965148edf>

Amazon's AWS Quietly Acquired NoSQL Database Migration Startup Amiato In
May 2014
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=eb8fe0d21f&e=7965148edf>

*Articles, Tutorials and Talks*

Call me maybe: MongoDB stale reads
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=7a2bef5d31&e=7965148edf>
In this post, we'll see that Mongo's consistency model is broken by design:
not only can "strictly consistent" reads see stale versions of documents,
but they can also return garbage data from writes that never should have
occurred. The former is (as far as I know) a new result which runs contrary
to all of Mongo's consistency documentation. The latter has been a
documented issue in Mongo for some time. We'll also touch on a result from
the previous Jepsen post: almost all write concern levels allow data loss.

Neo4j 2.2: Performance and Scaling
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=1017151eb6&e=7965148edf>
The Neo4j 2.2 release was largely focused on infrastructure improvements to
achieve much better performance and scalability. In this session, Philip
Rathle (VP of Products) and Andreas Kollegger (Product Experience Designer)
talk about how the release improved Cypher speed, read scaling, write
scaling, and usability.

Building your first application with MongoDB: Creating a REST API using the
MEAN Stack - Part 2
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=5197c3cb49&e=7965148edf>
In the first part of this blog series, we covered the basic mechanics of
our application and undertook some data modeling. In this second part, we
will create tests that validate the behavior of our application and then
describe how to set-up and run the application.

Creating Multi-Game Highscore Lists
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=cb47fdbd17&e=7965148edf>
I just came across a question about how to create highscore lists or
leaderboards in ArangoDB, and how they would work when compared to Redis
sorted sets. This post tries to give an answer on the topic and also
detailed instructions and queries for setting up highscore lists with
ArangoDB. The additional section "Extensions" explains slightly more
advanced highscore list use cases like multi-game highscore lists, joining
data and maintaining a "last updated" date.

Couchapp Tutorial and How to: Chatty
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=fed0b433d3&e=7965148edf>
Couchapp tutorial on how to build secure web applications, using Apache
CouchDB in a 3-Tier Single Server Architecture.

Building a Distributed Fault-Tolerant Key-Value Store
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=5d0226cc60&e=7965148edf>
Implementing a Fault-Tolerant Distributed Key-Value Store is by no means an
simple task, and the implementation here described is far from ready for
production use. It shows, however, the essential pieces found in these kind
of NoSQL databases, tackling the fundamental issues found in these systems.

ToroDB PgDay Paris 2015
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=c76576fe9d&e=7965148edf>
ToroDB is a document oriented, Mongo-compatible, open-source database built
on top of PostgreSQL.  ToroDB implements the MongoDB protocol, and is thus
compatible with MongoDB applications. This means it supports the advanced
MongoDB query language, and MongoDB language updates. And it's all open
source and running on top of PostgreSQL.

Analyze accelerometer data with Apache Spark and MLlib
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=853c0d8e7d&e=7965148edf>
This post explains how to predict user's physical activity (like walking,
jogging, sitting...) using Spark, the Spark-Cassandra connector and MLlib.

Using Multiple NoSQL Database Models with Orchestrate and Node.js
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=e14a93eda0&e=7965148edf>

Redis RAM Ramifications - Part I
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=7ab7cd11c1&e=7965148edf>

*Interesting Projects, Tools and Libraries*

SocketPouch
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=fe92a816ee&e=7965148edf>
Plugin to allow PouchDB and CouchDB to sync over WebSockets, using
Engine.io.

neo4jcontrol
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=b6132c02da&e=7965148edf>
System Tray tool for common tasks on a local Neo4j server.

smartdb
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=cb95ec93d4&e=7965148edf>
CouchDB library for Node.js with advanced entity and cache support.

flynn
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=0f6289637c&e=7965148edf>
flynn is a book scanning app which saves the added books and enables
library search. It optionally supports syncing with a remote CouchDB.

DELI
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=ee5f0ff56a&e=7965148edf>
DELI is a secondary index for NoSQL systems. It currently supports global
indexing and is applicable for HBase alike NoSQL systems where write
performance is optimized through a LSM tree structure.

speedbump
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=3516d74f71&e=7965148edf>
A Redis-backed rate limiter in Go.

GoCqlTable
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2886a98662&e=7965148edf>
GoCqlTable is a wrapper around the GoCql-driver that seeks to simplify
working with the Cassandra database in Golang projects.

*New Releases*

Couchbase Server 4.0 Developer Preview
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=851601fd31&e=7965148edf>
This early release comes with many great enhancements, including new query
interface with SQL for Documents (codename:N1QL), brand new indexing for
low latency queries with Global Secondary Indexing (GSI), a revolutionary
new architecture for scalability named Multi-Dimensional Scaling,
simplified security and compliance, and many more...

OrientDB 2.1 RC1
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=64ecaaa30c&e=7965148edf>
Orient Technologies has released the first release candidate of OrientDB
2.1: 104 resolved issues and even more exciting innovative improvements!

*Upcoming Events and Webinars*

Webinar: Building Apps with Couchbase Mobile on iOS
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=80e6f8881d&e=7965148edf>
Join James Nocentini, Developer Advocate for Couchbase, who will introduce
the Couchbase Lite iOS SDK. In this webinar you'll learn why a document
oriented database in your app speeds development, different techniques to
make the best use of the iOS SDK, and more.

Webinar: Your Master Data is a Graph: Are You Ready?
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=9a73483457&e=7965148edf>
As you tackle your ongoing Master Data Management challenges, it's
important to keep a few things in mind: Hierarchies don't really exist
Relational isn't about relationships Foreign keys aren't relationships, but
constraints It's crazy, isn't it? Join Master Data Management expert Karen
Lopez and Neo Technology's Kami Nixon as they discuss today's MDM
requirements and explore the companies that are getting MDM right.

Cassandra at Venmo - New York, NY
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=736ea04eec&e=7965148edf>
In this talk, we'll examine using Cassandra, modeling some data and using
composite columns to aggregate our data based on expected query patterns.
We'll explore how composite columns allow us to filter data by taking
advantage of how columns are stored alphanumerically on disk. We'll observe
how the data is represented and how that differs from how the data is
stored internally. Then we'll dig into the details of how Cassandra
performs writes and reads on a single node, and talk about the commit log,
memtable, and SSTables.  Finally, we'll conclude with a war story about how
switching compaction strategies cut our query times in half.

Neo4j Graph Gist Special - London, United Kingdom
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=f3dd5122c2&e=7965148edf>
This month we're going to shine the spot light on Graph Gists - a cool tool
for creating one page documents that describe and model your domain in a
live Neo4j graph. David Johnson, a participant in the recent winter
competition will be joining us to show off some of his graph gists and
we'll look over some other ones and maybe even create our own one if
there's time.

CouchDB Catchup - Boston, MA
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=4415da2c04&e=7965148edf>
There will be following talks

   - Mango, a MongoDB API layer for CouchDB
   - Fauxton, the CouchDB 2.0 dashboard

*Share NoSQL Weekly*  [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D57c1430be7&t=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20230>
[image:
Twitter]
<http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20230%20-%20http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2FbkHA9v>
[image:
Reddit]
<http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D57c1430be7&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20%20-%20Issue%20230>
[image:
StumbleUpon]
<http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive2.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D57c1430be7&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20230>
[image:
DZone]
<http://www.dzone.com/links/add.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive1.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D57c1430be7&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20230>
[image:
LinkedIn] [image: Digg]
<http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive1.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D57c1430be7&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20230>
[image:
Delicious]
<http://del.icio.us/post?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive1.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D57c1430be7&title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20230>
[image:
Slashdot]
<http://slashdot.org/bookmark.pl?title=NoSQL%20Weekly%20-%20Issue%20230&url=http%3A%2F%2Fus2.campaign-archive1.com%2F%3Fu%3D72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb%26id%3D57c1430be7>

   You are receiving our weekly newsletter because you signed up at
http://www.NoSQLWeekly.com.

Unsubscribe
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2f0470315b&e=7965148edf&c=57c1430be7>
andy@nms.de from this list | Forward to a friend
<http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=57c1430be7&e=7965148edf>
| Update your profile
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage2.com/profile?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2f0470315b&e=7965148edf>
*Our mailing address is:*
NoSQL Weekly
Brooklyn
Brooklyn, New York 11228

Add us to your address book
<http://NoSQLWeekly.us2.list-manage.com/vcard?u=72f68dcee17c92724bc7822fb&id=2f0470315b>

*Copyright (C) 2015 NoSQL Weekly All rights reserved.*