couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] CouchDB Logo - Round #2
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 05:34:25 GMT
Hi everyone,

+1 Old logo

The logo is the “memory chip” for the brand experience helping the audience to quickly
identify the brand and recall previous impressions.
Changing the logo resets our audience’s "memory chip" and you start pretty much all over
again.
I think the logo itself is good enough to take CouchDB all the way, it could be strengthened
by a not having to carry around a slogan or its mother brand Apache. These are separate parts
of the identity program as I have tried to illustrate here. https://s3.amazonaws.com/johs/couchdb-old-logo.pdf
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/johs/couchdb-old-logo.pdf>

Constantin’s proposal is the only one that qualifies as a logo in design quality for me.
This sofa is an icon, and as such it is functional and supports the name and makes it easy
to recognise and remember, which is the most fundamental function of the logo.
My reason for still voting on for the old one is that a sofa in it self does not carry the
Relax or Rest message, which I would think is the whole point with “Couch” in the first
place.
The old logo is a symbol of relaxation, remove the guy and you have a furniture.

I want to say thanks to the contributors with a reason for not voting for their proposal:
Paul Davis: This is Couch (symbol) + Couch (word) without the key message and the sofa dull
on its own.
Nick Pavlica: Overambitious symbolism
Brad Noble: Looses the link to the name, and too generic a symbol
Sean Barclay: The 3D logo makes even more of a furniture (rather than a symbol) out of the
logo. The proposal to rebrand and look at alternative names is the way to go if the existing
logo was to be abandoned. If we want to start over again, we should dig deep for something
really valuable, but for that there needs to be a process to support a multistep approach.

johs