couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ASF IRC Bot <asf...@urd.zones.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:14:08 GMT
Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting at Wed Apr 22 20:03:02 2015:

Attendees: Wohali, michellep, Kxepal, ksnavely, jan____, klaus_trainer, robertkowalski, chewbranca

- Preface
- fauxton
- nano
- couchperuser
  - Action: jan to research the idea to create a markdown2ipclearance.xml script
- couchdb-docker
- _bulk_get
- build script 
  - Info: Jan needs help with https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/302 / especially windows
support
- 2.0
- other topics


IRC log follows:

## Preface ##
[Wed Apr 22 20:03:49 2015] <jan____>: everyone, post your topics for today, we’ll
go through them one by one
[Wed Apr 22 20:04:34 2015] <Kxepal>: request for couchdb-docker topic, can report about
bulk_get one
[Wed Apr 22 20:04:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: cool!
[Wed Apr 22 20:05:20 2015] <michellep>: request for fauxton
[Wed Apr 22 20:05:25 2015] <jan____>: ok, we can add more topics as we go
## fauxton ##
[Wed Apr 22 20:06:36 2015] <michellep>: this week, we merged 3 new cool features, plus
a lot of other stuff that is less visible
[Wed Apr 22 20:06:44 2015] <michellep>: the three new features are:
[Wed Apr 22 20:06:54 2015] <michellep>: 1. new active tasks layout
[Wed Apr 22 20:07:59 2015] <michellep>: the active tasks table now has more room, since
we did away with the side bar
[Wed Apr 22 20:08:12 2015] <michellep>: and now the polling interval is moved up to
the header bar
[Wed Apr 22 20:08:28 2015] <robertkowalski>: i really like the new layout!
[Wed Apr 22 20:08:31 2015] <michellep>: sidenote: there are more changes to active tasks
to come
[Wed Apr 22 20:08:35 2015] <michellep>: thanks!
[Wed Apr 22 20:08:41 2015] <michellep>: me too
[Wed Apr 22 20:09:14 2015] <chewbranca>: ACTION waves
[Wed Apr 22 20:09:20 2015] <jan____>: yeah, it looks great!
[Wed Apr 22 20:09:22 2015] <michellep>: hi chewbranca 
[Wed Apr 22 20:09:31 2015] <michellep>: thanks jan____
[Wed Apr 22 20:11:12 2015] <michellep>: 2. we also merged in an auto updater to the
Changes tab, so that when viewing, you get a live stream of changes as they happen
[Wed Apr 22 20:11:34 2015] <jan____>: oh wow, that’s awesome!
[Wed Apr 22 20:11:52 2015] <ksnavely>: cool
[Wed Apr 22 20:12:48 2015] <michellep>: 3. this is less visible, but really neat: merged
in this week:!! you can press escape key to dismiss the notifications in fauxton 
[Wed Apr 22 20:13:23 2015] <jan____>: I support that! :D
[Wed Apr 22 20:13:34 2015] <michellep>: =) i really like that one too
[Wed Apr 22 20:13:58 2015] <Kxepal>: michellep: 3. finally! hooray! (:
[Wed Apr 22 20:14:14 2015] <Kxepal>: thank you (:
## nano ##
[Wed Apr 22 20:15:00 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: your floor
[Wed Apr 22 20:15:21 2015] <robertkowalski>: are there any updates regarding nano and
the asf?
[Wed Apr 22 20:15:43 2015] <robertkowalski>: my last status was that we almost collected
all or even all CLAs thanks to garren 
[Wed Apr 22 20:16:11 2015] <jan____>: I think we have all the relevant ones, and we
can start the paperwork
[Wed Apr 22 20:16:13 2015] <robertkowalski>: and: is something blocking - is help needed?
[Wed Apr 22 20:16:42 2015] <jan____>: we need to start preparing the incubator IP clearance
[Wed Apr 22 20:17:29 2015] <robertkowalski>: the template? i could do that on monday
[Wed Apr 22 20:17:45 2015] <jan____>: I’m not volunteering because I’ve already
promised to do it for couchperuser and couchdb-docker and I’m already late :)
[Wed Apr 22 20:17:58 2015] <jan____>: yea
[Wed Apr 22 20:18:18 2015] <robertkowalski>: i can do that. shall i also kick off a
vote tomorrow on dev?
[Wed Apr 22 20:18:43 2015] <robertkowalski>: or after ip clearance?
[Wed Apr 22 20:18:53 2015] <robertkowalski>: still not sure about the perfect order
[Wed Apr 22 20:19:48 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____
[Wed Apr 22 20:19:55 2015] <jan____>: vote has to happen before the ip clearance
[Wed Apr 22 20:20:29 2015] <jan____>: but didn’t we have a vote already? or was that
only a discuss? I’m pretty sure we have consensus either way
[Wed Apr 22 20:20:45 2015] <robertkowalski>: don't know
[Wed Apr 22 20:21:01 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: no, we don't
[Wed Apr 22 20:21:40 2015] <jan____>: yeah, just checked, too
[Wed Apr 22 20:21:48 2015] <jan____>: we”ll need to do a vote
[Wed Apr 22 20:21:58 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: wanna call that at your earliest
convenience?
[Wed Apr 22 20:22:07 2015] <robertkowalski>: ok, i can volunteer
## couchperuser ##
[Wed Apr 22 20:23:57 2015] <jan____>: quick update: I’m still due to do the IP clearance,
haven’t gotten to it yet.
[Wed Apr 22 20:24:15 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: but you have the template?
[Wed Apr 22 20:24:41 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: what do you mean? the template
is in the incubator svn
[Wed Apr 22 20:24:49 2015] <robertkowalski>: (these xml templates are so crazy - i am
scared of them)
[Wed Apr 22 20:25:04 2015] <jan____>: (rightfully so)
[Wed Apr 22 20:25:13 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: i asked klaus if he put most of
the data into the template
[Wed Apr 22 20:25:22 2015] <robertkowalski>: + could
[Wed Apr 22 20:25:25 2015] <jan____>: (there’s a reason I’M procrastinating htem
[Wed Apr 22 20:26:01 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: actually, idea: let’s get this
fixed at the ASF level and write a Markdown2xml template script
[Wed Apr 22 20:26:24 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: we could hack on that over the
weekend :)
[Wed Apr 22 20:26:26 2015] <klaus_trainer>: oh, I'll get to that
[Wed Apr 22 20:26:49 2015] <klaus_trainer>: probably next Friday
[Wed Apr 22 20:27:52 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: sounds good, but i don't have
time this weekend
[Wed Apr 22 20:28:10 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: conference stuff already draining
me alot
[Wed Apr 22 20:28:10 2015] <jan____>: #action jan to research the idea to create a markdown2ipclearance.xml
script
[Wed Apr 22 20:28:29 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: I wonder why :D — I’ll do
it
[Wed Apr 22 20:28:40 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: I’m kidding, don’t worry <3
[Wed Apr 22 20:28:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: :D
## couchdb-docker ##
[Wed Apr 22 20:29:32 2015] <jan____>: basically, same as couchperuser: I signed up to
run ip-clearance for that, still on my todo list
## _bulk_get ##
[Wed Apr 22 20:30:25 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: your floor
[Wed Apr 22 20:30:40 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: thanks (:
[Wed Apr 22 20:31:10 2015] <Kxepal>: I'm working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2310
now
[Wed Apr 22 20:31:20 2015] <Kxepal>: basically, the plan is the following:
[Wed Apr 22 20:31:33 2015] <Kxepal>: backport rcouch implementation for json api
[Wed Apr 22 20:31:52 2015] <Kxepal>: review and merge iilyak work on multipart api https://github.com/apache/couchdb-couch/pull/19
[Wed Apr 22 20:32:14 2015] <Kxepal>: and then finish /db/_bulk_get to match couchbase
implemenation
[Wed Apr 22 20:32:21 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: sounds good to me!
[Wed Apr 22 20:32:39 2015] <robertkowalski>: wow, sounds epic!
[Wed Apr 22 20:33:23 2015] <Kxepal>: cannot do all with the single shot because I'll
have to end with a lot of duplicate code in chttpd_db around multipart work or make the same
refactoring as iilyak did. so going to implement this feature in incremental way.
[Wed Apr 22 20:33:42 2015] <jan____>: +1 on that
[Wed Apr 22 20:33:44 2015] <Kxepal>: the PR will arrive in next few days. basically,
all is done, need tests and some cleanup.
[Wed Apr 22 20:34:14 2015] <robertkowalski>: +1 incremental is good!
[Wed Apr 22 20:34:15 2015] <Kxepal>: that's all from me about. stay tuned for the github/jira
notifications (:
[Wed Apr 22 20:34:25 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: robertkowalski thanks! (:
## build script  ##
[Wed Apr 22 20:36:08 2015] <jan____>: I keep working on https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/302
on and off, but I could use some help, if anyone wants to dig in there. The PR includes all
the things that still need to be done.
[Wed Apr 22 20:36:35 2015] <jan____>: feel free to send PRs to my fork that I can put
on top of this PR, or make new PRs in your own forks, there is no territoriality here :)
[Wed Apr 22 20:36:45 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: what kind of help is need you?
[Wed Apr 22 20:37:05 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: people helping fix the remaining issue
[Wed Apr 22 20:37:12 2015] <jan____>: mostly shell scripting or Makefile magix
[Wed Apr 22 20:37:17 2015] <jan____>: *magic
[Wed Apr 22 20:37:53 2015] <Kxepal>: ok, will take a look (:
[Wed Apr 22 20:38:26 2015] <jan____>: Major point: I won’t be able to do windows support,
so that would be a big item
[Wed Apr 22 20:38:42 2015] <jan____>: #info Jan needs help with https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/302
/ especially windows support
[Wed Apr 22 20:39:01 2015] <robertkowalski>: do we have a lot of windows users?
[Wed Apr 22 20:39:10 2015] <jan____>: Yes
[Wed Apr 22 20:39:16 2015] <robertkowalski>: ok
[Wed Apr 22 20:39:21 2015] <Kxepal>: I miss Dave ):
[Wed Apr 22 20:39:31 2015] <jan____>: Wohali has download stats, windows downloads are
significant
[Wed Apr 22 20:39:39 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: he’s on much needed vacation
[Wed Apr 22 20:39:48 2015] <Kxepal>: I know, but still..
[Wed Apr 22 20:40:00 2015] <jan____>: *hugs*
## 2.0 ##
[Wed Apr 22 20:40:11 2015] <robertkowalski>: thanks to Kxepal we use the _setup endpoint
in dev/run now
[Wed Apr 22 20:40:29 2015] <jan____>: yeah, great work!
[Wed Apr 22 20:40:32 2015] <robertkowalski>: thats super cool but the codepath that
we take has bugs
[Wed Apr 22 20:40:45 2015] <Kxepal>: which bring new interesting bugs in the house (:
[Wed Apr 22 20:40:49 2015] <robertkowalski>: we have to run the fauxton ci with a commit
that is ~2-3 weeks old
[Wed Apr 22 20:41:11 2015] <robertkowalski>: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton/commit/47d38c549d0a73ea8d65b7c8088b8e06ead9b8db
[Wed Apr 22 20:41:23 2015] <robertkowalski>: we found that by our daily travis runs
[Wed Apr 22 20:41:48 2015] <robertkowalski>: i am not sure if chewbranca works on it
or has an update
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:01 2015] <robertkowalski>: it hink it is a race condition
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:01 2015] <jan____>: ah, what is the actual bug here?
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:06 2015] <jan____>: in _setup?
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:08 2015] <chewbranca>: robertkowalski: yeah I've been making lots
of updates to it, thought you had seen them
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:22 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: no, in _metadata
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:33 2015] <Kxepal>: actually, related to cassim
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:34 2015] <chewbranca>: the primary bug is fixed, it was related to
making a fabric:open_doc call from within a gen_server
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:35 2015] <robertkowalski>: chewbranca: i tested master today, still
broken
[Wed Apr 22 20:42:57 2015] <chewbranca>: COUCHDB-2657
[Wed Apr 22 20:43:29 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: ah, thanks!
[Wed Apr 22 20:43:36 2015] <chewbranca>: so calling fabric:open_doc does a receive call
which hijacks other incoming messages, which is why it showed up in Fauxton when they made
concurrent requests
[Wed Apr 22 20:44:15 2015] <chewbranca>: the problem itself is fixed in a branch of
cassim, but going down this path exposed a few other things that need to be addressed, such
as what to do with deleted docs and how to handle conflicts
[Wed Apr 22 20:44:26 2015] <chewbranca>: so I'm still working on the latter two items
[Wed Apr 22 20:44:59 2015] <chewbranca>: robertkowalski: I'm primarily working out of
https://github.com/apache/couchdb-cassim/tree/2657-fix-cassim-fabric-calls
[Wed Apr 22 20:45:13 2015] <chewbranca>: robertkowalski: this fixes the issue you encountered:
https://github.com/apache/couchdb-cassim/commit/0c3f04509f1a2e298c037f82850f6b7b3d08d35c
[Wed Apr 22 20:45:15 2015] <robertkowalski>: thanks for the updates! i indeed saw the
comment on the jira ticket but no PR / merge
[Wed Apr 22 20:45:32 2015] <robertkowalski>: and to verify i tried it out today
[Wed Apr 22 20:46:03 2015] <chewbranca>: yeah, handling deleted docs and conflicts is
in the same code path so I figured I would try and wrap them all up together rather than generating
extra churn in the master branch history
[Wed Apr 22 20:47:02 2015] <robertkowalski>: cool
[Wed Apr 22 20:47:25 2015] <robertkowalski>: for the "finish wizard" ticket than jan____
and me own currently
[Wed Apr 22 20:47:31 2015] <robertkowalski>: i am not happy with the ui
[Wed Apr 22 20:47:52 2015] <robertkowalski>: and even as i understand the node concept
i always forget one and it is a bit tedious
[Wed Apr 22 20:48:21 2015] <robertkowalski>: so i started to write a cli wizard thingy
in node
[Wed Apr 22 20:48:28 2015] <jan____>: right, it’s a draft at best. it’s good to
show what we want to have, but it can be a lot slicker
[Wed Apr 22 20:49:01 2015] <robertkowalski>: short question:
[Wed Apr 22 20:49:05 2015] <jan____>: we need a wizard for fauxton too, but having a
CLI version is nice too!
[Wed Apr 22 20:49:39 2015] <robertkowalski>: what do you think if the setup module would
do that (calling other nodes and give back errors if they are not there)
[Wed Apr 22 20:49:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: so the user could stay at least in the
same tab
[Wed Apr 22 20:50:00 2015] <robertkowalski>: and does not have to copy/paste the url
and enter cryptic ports
[Wed Apr 22 20:50:04 2015] <robertkowalski>: ?
[Wed Apr 22 20:50:22 2015] <robertkowalski>: (for the fauxton based ui wizard)
[Wed Apr 22 20:50:24 2015] <jan____>: I’m not sure I understand
[Wed Apr 22 20:50:35 2015] <jan____>: “would do” what?
[Wed Apr 22 20:50:48 2015] <robertkowalski>: i open the wizard on one node
[Wed Apr 22 20:50:57 2015] <robertkowalski>: enter all informations for all other nodes
[Wed Apr 22 20:51:11 2015] <robertkowalski>: but my wizard just talks to _setup on this
particular node
[Wed Apr 22 20:51:26 2015] <robertkowalski>: and gives me feedback, like "the node you
just entered appears to be offline"
[Wed Apr 22 20:51:47 2015] <robertkowalski>: so that everything happens in one browser
window with one endpoint
[Wed Apr 22 20:51:52 2015] <robertkowalski>: which proxies to the other nodes
[Wed Apr 22 20:52:00 2015] <robertkowalski>: because of same origins etc
[Wed Apr 22 20:52:14 2015] <jan____>: this is all complicated and it’s late, can we
talk this over in a ticket or on a list?
[Wed Apr 22 20:52:25 2015] <robertkowalski>: ok
[Wed Apr 22 20:52:34 2015] <jan____>: this meeting isn’t a good place to do design
work :)
[Wed Apr 22 20:52:38 2015] <jan____>: thanks
[Wed Apr 22 20:52:55 2015] <jan____>: email to dev@ is easiest I think
[Wed Apr 22 20:53:40 2015] <robertkowalski>: for 2.0: i started to hide the config tab
on front-cluster ports: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton/pull/360
[Wed Apr 22 20:53:53 2015] <robertkowalski>: i have to rebase that, it got stale
[Wed Apr 22 20:54:26 2015] <robertkowalski>: in the meantime it turned out that it get's
extremly hairy in our team if people try to use config on the backdoor ports
[Wed Apr 22 20:55:07 2015] <robertkowalski>: like getting random errors and nobody knows
why and then it is just on one node and because of load balancing not every time
[Wed Apr 22 20:55:50 2015] <robertkowalski>: and we work with couch every day
[Wed Apr 22 20:56:09 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: any solutions you have thought
of?
[Wed Apr 22 20:56:31 2015] <robertkowalski>: quite worried
[Wed Apr 22 20:56:52 2015] <robertkowalski>: but even if we disable _config on the backports
folks can still change their config files
[Wed Apr 22 20:57:09 2015] <robertkowalski>: last couchdb meetup we talked about a new
config
[Wed Apr 22 20:57:15 2015] <robertkowalski>: with a token ring setup
[Wed Apr 22 20:57:30 2015] <jan____>: so is the question “disable config or figure
out cluster config”?
[Wed Apr 22 20:58:05 2015] <robertkowalski>: yes at least for me
[Wed Apr 22 20:58:11 2015] <Kxepal>: robertkowalski: what the nature of these random
errors?
[Wed Apr 22 20:58:29 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: wanna bring this up on dev@?
[Wed Apr 22 20:58:32 2015] <robertkowalski>: Kxepal: setting another password on one
node to test someting
[Wed Apr 22 20:58:40 2015] <jan____>: that’d be best to get everybody’s attention
[Wed Apr 22 20:58:41 2015] <Kxepal>: robertkowalski: ok
[Wed Apr 22 20:59:01 2015] <robertkowalski>: ok
[Wed Apr 22 20:59:43 2015] <robertkowalski>: that's it from me i guess for 2.0
[Wed Apr 22 21:01:13 2015] <Wohali>: Parenthetically, my download stat gathering showed
that Windows is indeed significant and is more than mac+source downloads put together 
[Wed Apr 22 21:01:28 2015] <jan____>: thanks Wohali!
## other topics ##
[Wed Apr 22 21:01:52 2015] <robertkowalski>: i just have if 20:00 GMT is still ok with
daylight saving
[Wed Apr 22 21:01:53 2015] <Wohali>: obviously we don't have distro stats or ways to
track who's cloned the repos, but it's a fair bit of info that people do indeed download and
use the WIndows version, a lot.
[Wed Apr 22 21:01:56 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: you had something here?
[Wed Apr 22 21:02:00 2015] <robertkowalski>: quite late here in germany
[Wed Apr 22 21:02:51 2015] <robertkowalski>: i just use that template from the couchdb-admin
repo, jan____ does the time fit for you?
[Wed Apr 22 21:02:57 2015] <robertkowalski>: is one hour earlier better?
[Wed Apr 22 21:03:12 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: what template?
[Wed Apr 22 21:03:37 2015] <robertkowalski>: for the meeting
[Wed Apr 22 21:03:38 2015] <robertkowalski>: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-admin/blob/master/email/reminder_meeting.txt
[Wed Apr 22 21:03:47 2015] <robertkowalski>: oh it is even later for Kxepal 
[Wed Apr 22 21:03:55 2015] <Kxepal>: midnight here (:
[Wed Apr 22 21:04:00 2015] <jan____>: ah, yes, that’s the one
[Wed Apr 22 21:04:02 2015] <robertkowalski>: <-23
[Wed Apr 22 21:04:17 2015] <Kxepal>: but I'm ok with any time
[Wed Apr 22 21:04:31 2015] <jan____>: and yeah, I wouldn’t mind switching this to
19:00 GMT
[Wed Apr 22 21:05:03 2015] <robertkowalski>: cool ok.
[Wed Apr 22 21:05:25 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: but again, this all is better
for dev@
[Wed Apr 22 21:05:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: hm :(
[Wed Apr 22 21:05:54 2015] <jan____>: needs input from more than just us :)
[Wed Apr 22 21:06:04 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: what’s wrong with emailing dev@?
[Wed Apr 22 21:06:19 2015] <robertkowalski>: it's just: then i don't need to attend
meeting
[Wed Apr 22 21:06:27 2015] <robertkowalski>: :)
[Wed Apr 22 21:06:28 2015] <jan____>: “heya, we wanna move the weekly to 19:00 GMT,
if nobody objects, that’s the new meeting time”
[Wed Apr 22 21:06:36 2015] <jan____>: how so?
[Wed Apr 22 21:07:03 2015] <jan____>: sorry, maybe I was a bit harsh, the meeting is
good to get a feel for an idea
[Wed Apr 22 21:07:12 2015] <jan____>: but we can’t make decisions here, that’s all
I meant
[Wed Apr 22 21:07:15 2015] <Kxepal>: I think robertkowalski point is that if we could
set all the things by email, why run any meeting?
[Wed Apr 22 21:07:35 2015] <jan____>: also, we can change what the meeting is about,
so it is useful to everyone.
[Wed Apr 22 21:07:37 2015] <robertkowalski>: Kxepal: yes, thanks
[Wed Apr 22 21:07:41 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: like I just explained
[Wed Apr 22 21:07:59 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: sorry, I was type slow (:
[Wed Apr 22 21:08:05 2015] <jan____>: also, see the discussion with chewbranca just
now, technically doable in email, but easier to do here
[Wed Apr 22 21:08:24 2015] <jan____>: plus, cross-team sharing stuff, I enjoy to learn
about fauxton
[Wed Apr 22 21:08:36 2015] <jan____>: and I’m sure it’s useful for fauxton to learn
what happens elsewhere etc.
[Wed Apr 22 21:08:47 2015] <jan____>: but again, happy to change the nature of this
so people get more out of it
[Wed Apr 22 21:09:34 2015] <robertkowalski>: ok
[Wed Apr 22 21:09:58 2015] <Kxepal>: personally, I feel lack of realtime collaboration
on something. what could be awesome additional, but time...
[Wed Apr 22 21:10:32 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: yeah :/ time is an issue
[Wed Apr 22 21:11:37 2015] <jan____>: alright, thanks everyone!
[Wed Apr 22 21:11:42 2015] <jan____>: ASFBot: meeting end


Meeting ended at Wed Apr 22 21:11:42 2015

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message