couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: Designs and decision making
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:37:12 GMT
Hi Noah,
> On 13 Mar 2015, at 20:00, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On 13 March 2015 at 09:42, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>
>> Brand management at the PMC level is missing
>
> What makes you say this?
This was not meant as a negative to any person, certainly not to you.
If the PMC has mandated you to take this, you are the brand manager.

I tried to drill down from http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html <http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html>
to find out if there was any formalized, specific responsibilities and found none.
That means that it falls under the responsibility of the PMC.
They are the de facto brand managers, I agree that they are the decision makers
Changing the brand is as important as a new release go/no-go
But, and this was my point, I dont find Brand management recorded as a specific responsibility.
It’s all code, and who believes that branding isn’t important these days?

>> To ask this list to pick a designer for them is not a step forward
>
> Well, I more meant to suggest that anyone who wishes to be on "the
> design team" step forward. And then we let whatever team assembles
> itself to just go at it, taking feedback from the community, and
> getting the final approval from the PMC.
>
> I actually think that this will reduce work, and reduce the peanut
> gallery affect. I'm not sure that design competitions are the best
> model for a brand refresh.

Competition was maybe not the best term.
Let the designers finalize proposals to choose from, one per designer and stage it so that
it is for real, not this endless row of back and forth discussions that lead nowhere.
For designers to make a serious contributions they need to take input from "the client”
and deliver a proper proposal.
Deadline for submission of proposals and then a serious eval process will move this forward.

>> 4) PMC invite Shane Curcuru for advice on this and they decide - he is formally responsible
for what we are discussing

> The PMC is the "client" here. It's our call. Shane is there to assist
> us with trademarks. :)
I understand.
Again, my point was to look at who have formal responsibility and I think he could advice
and at the same time discover something important about brand management.
It looks to me like this is unchartered waters in ASF.
Learning how to engage designers as contributers, if there are any best practice on what we
discuss here etc
> --
> Noah Slater
> https://twitter.com/nslater

This discussion on process is valuable in my opinion.
johs