couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB users interview
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2015 18:11:23 GMT
Lena, when you say
> When developing a strategy + approach for this, it would be good imo to elaborate which
different ways we can take to achieve what the general purpose of this is.

I think it is happening.

I think we could learn from the logo discussion that lead to a process that will support a
decision
Making a case video with a big brand is a lot more complicated than a new sofa in the logo,
since they are serious about their external comms, so at this list we would need progress
on in our abilities to discuss processes

List of big brands that use CouchDB for impressive things
List of material already published for this (like some ugly powerpoint from ta talk at a conference,
far from approved by any big brand comms dept)
Develop story ideas
Run a "Who knows somebody” to id a possible contact based on a personal relationships that
form the first bases of trust
Make an interview
Develop the story
Get it approved (text)
Agree on where/how to publish it
Adapt it for relevant formats/channels

1-2 is happening already
If you get a really good opportunity at 4) you to video if allowed

Jan,

For low-hanging fruit, you could branch out after point 3 and decide to just publish a story
without any reference/endorsement.
The only thing to care about then is to ask
Is it true?
Is it true that CouchDB has a role in the IMB/Apple cooperation agreement?
Is it true that the BBC is using CouchDB to …..?
Is it true that the CERN is using CouchDB to …..?

The low-hanging branch could go like this
List of big brands that use CouchDB for impressive things
List of material already published for this (like some ugly powerpoint from ta talk at a conference,
far from approved by any big brand comms dept)
Run a "Who knows somebody” to id a possible contact based on a personal relationships, this
time to get a inside source
Check facts, verify them with two sources, quotes if possible
Develop a story
Publish on CouchDB web site

The problem with this approach is the channel.
Here my advice is to go for a story that works like rumour, a bit hot and for insiders to
share with the next layer of insiders until it reach the outsiders.

> On 28 Mar 2015, at 18:36, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Mar 2015, at 18:20, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com <mailto:johs@b2w.com>>
wrote:

>> Jan,
>>> I don’t see us taking a camera into CERN and the BBC for mood shots and interviews.
>> I do
>> Dont underestimate the “us” of this list
>
> I’m not trying to. If anyone says they are willing to spend a week or so travelling
to Geneva and London and a few more weeks on pre- and post-production for the benefit of CouchDB,
I’ll be their biggest supporter. I’m just suggesting that I haven’t seen anyone here
(yet) and that with the resources I know about, we can do something very low-key that can
get us a looong way.

> Just having a list of “these big names are using CouchDB” on the website would be
terrific, and, while not trivial, be A LOT easier than producing high-quality video.

> Having “here is what a few of those big names are doing with CouchDB and how they like
it / why they chose it” case-studies is the next level up from there and that’s *still*
going to be a lot less work etc.

> I’m just worried we are getting excited about high hanging fruit while starving and
ignoring the low-hanging ones.

> Again, I’ll support anyone who is going all out on kick-ass CouchDB end-user videos.
I just also want to make sure we do something with the other resources we have to get something
tangible going with less effort and maybe even faster.

> Best
> Jan
> --
>

>> Alexander,
>> great list, I am focusing on what I see as business cases for CouchDB (Apple is a
different animal)
>> - BBC: http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/London2009/speakers/endafarrell <http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/London2009/speakers/endafarrell>
<http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/London2009/speakers/endafarrell <http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/London2009/speakers/endafarrell>>
>> - CERN: http://readwrite.com/2010/08/26/lhc-couchdb <http://readwrite.com/2010/08/26/lhc-couchdb>
<http://readwrite.com/2010/08/26/lhc-couchdb <http://readwrite.com/2010/08/26/lhc-couchdb>>
>> all I need to develop a story idea of someone has a warm contact that is interesting
in doing the interview and hopefully pull in some colleague

>>> On 28 Mar 2015, at 18:15, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org <mailto:jan@apache.org>>
wrote:

>>> Ok, then just my cautioning: producing video is orders of magnitude more involved
than producing text. Since we are just getting started, unless we have someone who’s happy
to do pro video work for us, I’d suggest that we focus on text and use video as a prop for
transcripts and such.

>>> Note that the Apple videos you linked were done by a professional video production
crew with plenty of resources. I don’t see us taking a camera into CERN and the BBC for
mood shots and interviews.

>>> Again, if we *do* have people that are willing to do this, I’m all for it.
To get started, it might be easier and more bang for the buck to start with text.

>>> Best
>>> Jan
>>> --

clips and possibly a standalone.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42e-HFbt6Z4 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42e-HFbt6Z4>>
selecting tech platforms it needs to be this kind of story.

<marketing@couchdb.apache.org <mailto:marketing@couchdb.apache.org>>, Andreas

ML and may