couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB users interview
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2015 17:36:55 GMT

> On 28 Mar 2015, at 18:20, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>
> Jan,
>> I don’t see us taking a camera into CERN and the BBC for mood shots and interviews.
> I do
> Dont underestimate the “us” of this list

I’m not trying to. If anyone says they are willing to spend a week or so travelling to Geneva
and London and a few more weeks on pre- and post-production for the benefit of CouchDB, I’ll
be their biggest supporter. I’m just suggesting that I haven’t seen anyone here (yet)
and that with the resources I know about, we can do something very low-key that can get us
a looong way.

Just having a list of “these big names are using CouchDB” on the website would be terrific,
and, while not trivial, be A LOT easier than producing high-quality video.

Having “here is what a few of those big names are doing with CouchDB and how they like it
/ why they chose it” case-studies is the next level up from there and that’s *still* going
to be a lot less work etc.

I’m just worried we are getting excited about high hanging fruit while starving and ignoring
the low-hanging ones.

Again, I’ll support anyone who is going all out on kick-ass CouchDB end-user videos. I just
also want to make sure we do something with the other resources we have to get something tangible
going with less effort and maybe even faster.

Best
Jan
--

> Alexander,
> great list, I am focusing on what I see as business cases for CouchDB (Apple is a different
animal)
> - BBC: http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/London2009/speakers/endafarrell <http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/London2009/speakers/endafarrell>
> - CERN: http://readwrite.com/2010/08/26/lhc-couchdb <http://readwrite.com/2010/08/26/lhc-couchdb>
> all I need to develop a story idea of someone has a warm contact that is interesting
in doing the interview and hopefully pull in some colleague

>> On 28 Mar 2015, at 18:15, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, then just my cautioning: producing video is orders of magnitude more involved
than producing text. Since we are just getting started, unless we have someone who’s happy
to do pro video work for us, I’d suggest that we focus on text and use video as a prop for
transcripts and such.

>> Note that the Apple videos you linked were done by a professional video production
crew with plenty of resources. I don’t see us taking a camera into CERN and the BBC for
mood shots and interviews.

>> Again, if we *do* have people that are willing to do this, I’m all for it. To get
started, it might be easier and more bang for the buck to start with text.

>> Best
>> Jan
>> --
>>

>>> On 28 Mar 2015, at 18:07, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jan,
>>> my suggestion if we got an opportunity with CERN or BBC is to set the target
at
>>> article that could be adopted to various purposes and with video being supporting
clips and possibly a standalone.
>>> What many dont realise is that the biggest part of this job is story and coordination
of approval.
>>> Heading for text first eases the approval process for a video release.
>>>
>>> Noah,
>>> I thought of some case videos that Apple did some years back a the way to go
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42e-HFbt6Z4 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42e-HFbt6Z4>
>>> This is a typical B2B story that uses interviews with several people that
>>> are part of the decision making process.
>>> - head of production
>>> - technology controller
>>> - editor
>>> this is an exemplary piece when it comes to supporting tech selection.
>>> Marketing is all about supporting decision making and in B2B, especially selecting
tech platforms it needs to be this kind of story.

Andreas