couchdb-marketing mailing list archives

From Garren Smith <gar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Designs and decision making
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2015 07:31:06 GMT
Hi Noah,

I think having all the people that have submitted a logo collaborate would be fantastic. Its
not always easy working together but I think that would work much better than a ‘design
competition’ and even better than the current process of doing nothing.

Cheers
Garren

> On 14 Mar 2015, at 2:38 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>
> To clarify, I want the process to be open to anybody! Literally:
> anybody who's interested ought to express an interest. That would be
> fantastic!! But once that's done, I think that team should collaborate
> as a unit.
>
> So far, all we've had is the occasional person share an idea with the
> list, and then a bunch of people express an opinion. It's great that
> people are interested and are contributing. But that's not going to go
> anywhere, and we're never going to reach agreement on anything.
>
> We need a team of people who feel empowered to just work on this
> together, iterate on their ideas, taking input as necessary, and then
> to present a final "this is what we want to go with" to the PMC.
>

> On 14 March 2015 at 13:33, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> The PMC is responsible for branding, as outlined in our bylaws:
>>
>> http://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html#pmc
>>
>> The PMC (myself and others) have been doing branding work, and talking
>> about branding for many years. So this is not uncharted waters for us.
>> Indeed, the current design was born of similar efforts a few years
>> ago.
>>
>> In fact, it is this experience that is guiding me (and others on the
>> PMC) when we say that we do not want to open up the design process to
>> everyone, like we might do with a patch. Because we know what happens
>> when you do that. We've had a number of design efforts dead in the
>> water because people discussed it ad nauseam on the list.
>>
>> Doing design in OSS is different than writing code. It does not lend
>> itself well to peer review in the same way that a patch does. Because
>> *everybody* and their dog feels like they have an opinion on a design.
>>
>> That's why it's my preference is that people interested in working on
>> a brand/design refresh collaborate amongst themselves, taking input
>> from the community, and getting the final sign-off from the PMC.
>>

>> On 13 March 2015 at 20:37, Johs Ensby <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Noah,

>>> This was not meant as a negative to any person, certainly not to you.
>>> If the PMC has mandated you to take this, you are the brand manager.
>>>
>>> I tried to drill down from http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html> to find out if there was any formalized,
specific responsibilities and found none.
>>> That means that it falls under the responsibility of the PMC.
>>> They are the de facto brand managers, I agree that they are the decision makers
>>> Changing the brand is as important as a new release go/no-go
>>> But, and this was my point, I dont find Brand management recorded as a specific
responsibility.
>>> It’s all code, and who believes that branding isn’t important these days?

>>> Competition was maybe not the best term.
>>> Let the designers finalize proposals to choose from, one per designer and stage
it so that it is for real, not this endless row of back and forth discussions that lead nowhere.
>>> For designers to make a serious contributions they need to take input from "the
client” and deliver a proper proposal.
>>> Deadline for submission of proposals and then a serious eval process will move
this forward.

formally responsible for what we are discussing

>>> I understand.
>>> Again, my point was to look at who have formal responsibility and I think he
could advice and at the same time discover something important about brand management.